Subject: RE: [ws-rx] Proposal for i004

Jacques,
  thinking some more about this...I'm starting to convince myself that adding the text you want
isn't just possibly misleading or unnecessary but actually _can't_ be added.  The WS-A spec,
as you point out, says when the messageID can be reused but it doesn't say anything about
when it must/should be reused.  This is very important.  Some people may choose to implement
their soap stack such that WS-A stuff is done before RM, and in those cases it makes sense
that the messageID would be reused.  However, this is simply an implementation choice.  There
is no reason why WS-A processing can not come after the RM logic.  Its up to the implementation
to make sure that whatever messageID is ultimately used will work for proper message
correlation of any possible response messages.
  All of this talk about reuse of messageID header is actually incorrect - what is really important
is the messageID that's in the wsa:RelatesTo header.  That is actually the value that MUST NOT
change during a retry if the sender of this reply message ever hopes for proper correlation back
to the request message. Whether the WS-A logic on the requester side uses some WS-A
messageID generated before or after the RM logic is simply an implementation choice.  What
matters is that the correlation _can_ take place and not how it takes place by implying it _should_
be on a messageID generated before the RM logic.  And by implying that the messageID should
not change is implying an implementation choice, which I don't think the RM spec should do.
  Not sure how contrived this example might be but... let's say an RMS wants to be able to do some
sort of analysis of the network stability.  So, it actually uses a unique messageID for all retries and
saves the list so that when it gets a response it can examine the wsa:RelatesTo messageID to
know which specific request retry actually made it.  This could provide additional information
beyond just "it took 3 retries to get there" - it might be useful to know that even though it took 3 retries
message 1 was the one that got there each time - which means that the network might not be
dropping messages but instead my retry interval is too small.     maybe???  :-)
thanks,
-Doug