Subject: RE: [ws-rx] i0019 - a formal proposal - take 2

Jacques,
 comments inline
thanks
-Doug

Jacques Durand <JDurand@us.fujitsu.com> wrote on 08/25/2005 09:35:37 PM:

> Inline <JD>

<dug> Perhaps I should have said InOder+ExactlyOnce - when combined I think we'll
get the semantics we want.  Odd that InOrder _could_ mean you have gaps - that
implicitly means that gaps could get ACKd but never actually delivered.  weird. </dug>

>  So, getting an ACK+Final guarantees to the RMS which messages were not just ACKed
> but delivered - and any messages after the first gap can be recovered (e.g. resent
> in a new sequence if it wants) without fear of them being processed twice by the RMD's app.
> Actually, thinking about it more, perhaps some of the text should remain, like:
>   When a Sequence is closed and there are messages at the RM Destination
>  that are waiting for lower-numbered messages to arrive (such as the
>  case when InOrder delivery is being enforced) before they can be
>  processed by the RM Destination's application, the RM Destination
>  MUST NOT deliver those messages.
> Just  to ensure that the RMD does not interpret the Close() as the trigger to let
> all messages after the gap thru to the app.
> thanks,

> <JD> but again, because the semantics of Ack is just "on receipt" and not "on
> delivery", an honest RMD developer may decide to Ack these late messages, rendering
> the final Ack incorrect (or unstable, depending when it is requested...). Another
> way to avoid adding this text is to make the statement below more general, not
> limited to "new application messages":

> "...can send a <wsrm:Close> element, in the body of a message, to the RM
> Destination to indicate that RM Destination MUST NOT accept any new application
> messages for the specified sequence."

> Replace with:
> "...can send a <wsrm:Close> element, in the body of a message, to the RM
> Destination to indicate that RM Destination MUST NOT accept any application
> messages for the specified sequence, other than those already received at the time
> the <wsrm:Close> element is interpreted by the RMD."

Means the same to me  :-)  but it you think it makes it clearer. ok