Subject: RE: [ws-rx] i0019 - a formal proposal - take 2

Marc:

Let me put on my T-shirt "Gaps happen"  ;-)

When I said hat the use case is about sequences with gaps (regardless of the mode they cease to be used - i019 or i028) I only describe a situation that - as unfortunate as it is - we have to live with: some sequences will have gaps regardless of how much effort we deploy to get missing messages through *within this sequence*.

If we really wanted, we could make sure a sequence is always complete by the time it is terminated, but at a very high cost: an RMS would have to imperatively close any sequence for which it gave up retransmission efforts on a missing message. That is not realistic: will it stop sending further messages until it gets acks for all previous ones, just to be sure not to create gaps in the first place?

Given this, the proposal on the table allows a Source to at least know precisely what these gaps are at the time the sequence is terminated. Nothing more.

Now, this information can be dealt with in different ways that are beyond this issue:

-          some RMS may decide to resend these in a new sequence, later.

-          Some AS may just be happy to get the error raised and know about it (that will surely help fulfill a DA like AtLeastOnce that requires delivery failures be notified at one endpoint, preferably the one that can do something about it.)

But this "dealing with the failure" phase is beyond the issues at stake.

Jacques