Subject: Re: [ws-rx] RE: Proposal for i029 "Remove dependency on WS-Security"

Marc,

I don't agree that this issue is not within the scope of the charter.

The charter says two things about WSS:

"Efficient preservation of the integrity of reliable contexts by
composition with WS-Security or other SOAP security mechanisms."

and

"The specifications will uphold the basic principles of other Web
services specifications of independence and composition and must be
composable with the other specifications in the Web services
architecture, such as WS-Security [3], ..."

The issue that Gil is raising does not mean that we don't say how WSRM
composes (or may compose) with WSS or other SOAP security mechanisms to
preserve the integrity of the context. The issue merely states that this
normative (although optional for the sender) part of exactly how WSS is
used (and where the STR goes) has problems, as the issue raiser sees it.
I think this is a good issue to discuss. It certainly cannot be
dismissed as out of scope per the charter, as it isn't. The TC may
perhaps come to the same conclusion as you have (that this is the right
way to compose). I'm not convinced yet that this is 'the right way' to
compose with WSS. I can currently see few ways to skin this cat. To that
end, for me, figuring out the threat model would be quite useful.

Thx.

-Anish