Subject: RE: [ws-rx] NEW ISSUE: What does 'anon' URI mean when used in AcksTo

I fail to understand the similarity or more simply why one would use anonymous IRI for "To".  Where would you send the initial message?  /dev/null ;-)

AcksTo EPR using anon IRI is different, it is piggybacking on the existing channel provided by the binding, similar to ReplyTo and Fault which corresponds to a kind of "response". Acknowledgement is a kind of response.

--umit

From: Doug Davis [mailto:dug@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Friday, Sep 09, 2005 3:47 PM
To: ws-rx@lists.oasis-open.org

Right - it talks about ReplyTo and FaultTo but not "To".  So, we can either assume that it is implicitly talking about "To" which means wecan  make the same assumption for AcksTo.  Or we can assume that silence on "To" implies something else - like "its obvious". dunno.  Whatever that assumption is, we can probably carry it over to the AcksTo EPR :-)
thanks,
-Doug

"Yalcinalp, Umit" <umit.yalcinalp@sap.com>

09/09/2005 06:24 PM

Doug Davis/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS, <ws-rx@lists.oasis-open.org>
RE: [ws-rx] NEW ISSUE: What does 'anon' URI mean when used in AcksTo

Hmm. I am wondering whether we are looking at different versions of the soap binding spec. The current editor's copy [1] has the following statement in Section 3.5 (Anish was suggesting adding basically a similar language to our spec in this thread).

{
When "http://www.w3.org/@@@@/@@/addressing/anonymous" is specified as the address of the ReplyTo or FaultTo EPR, the underlying SOAP protocol binding provides a channel to the specified endpoint. Any underlying protocol binding supporting the SOAP request-response message exchange pattern provides such a channel. For instance, the SOAP 1.2 HTTP binding[SOAP 1.2 Part 2: Adjuncts] puts the reply message in the HTTP response.
}

--umit

[1] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2004/ws/addressing/ws-addr-soap.html?content-type=text/html;%20charset=utf-8#soaphttp

RE: [ws-rx] NEW ISSUE: What does 'anon' URI mean when used in AcksTo

I saw no mention of what an anonymous wsa:To means in the soap binding spec - but perhaps I missed it.  If not, then they're silent on it.

thanks,

-Doug

"Yalcinalp, Umit" <umit.yalcinalp@sap.com>

09/09/2005 04:43 PM

Doug Davis/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS, <ws-rx@lists.oasis-open.org>
RE: [ws-rx] NEW ISSUE: What does 'anon' URI mean when used in AcksTo

Doug,

I think it is incorrect to characterize that WS-Addressing is silent. It just defers the definition to the binding where it belongs to the extent of how the definition is used for WS-Addressing purposes only.

I would be very much in favor of (a) or (b) for our own spec. If (b) can not be coordinated with WS-Addressing wg (we need to do that rather fast due to the timelines of WS-Addressing) , we should definitely explore (a).

Cheers,

--umit