Subject: New proposal for i019 and i1028

All,

After much discussion Doug has managed to make me understand his reasons for proposing his Close/FinalAck mechanism for addressing i019 and i028. We now agree, an accurate acknowledgement state can be helpful in order to resolve doubt and in addition, for cases where a sequence must be ended, that acknowledgement state must be final. These are preconditions for recovery and the protocol can aid in establishing these preconditions.

However, we still have an issue with the current proposal [1]. We think it conflates the notions of resolving doubt and closing sequences. Attached is an alternate proposal that we believe addresses this issue, allows for the exact semantics [1] provides and has other advantages. Details are in the document.

[1] http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ws-rx/email/archives/200509/msg00084.html

I look forward to the group’s comments.

Thanks,

--Stefan