Subject: Preliminary minutes of the Sep 15th meeting

Here are the preliminary minutes of the last meeting. Any comments
before end of day Monday please.

Paul
Title: Minutes

Minutes of the Sept 15th meeting

Agenda

1) Roll Call

2) Assignment of Scribe
Paul Fremantle

3) Review and approval of the agenda

Marc Goodner: Save time for the F2F discussion.

Chris Ferris: Haven’t seen an agenda for F2F

Sanjay: It was sent. If we don’t get to Agenda this call, email list. We need to discuss the major issues. Propose to go ahead as planned

PaulC: I predict that we won’t get to item #10 if we save it till after the technical discussion.

Sanjay: Discuss on email and at start of F2F.

No other objections to agenda

4) Approval of the Sep 08, 2005 meeting minutes
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/14420/Minutes-wsrx-090805.htm

A motion was duly made Paul Cotton, and seconded by Anish, no objections.

5) Administrative Issues
a> Volunteers for sponsoring dial-in facility for future calls
b> Sep 21/22
Seattle F2F related clarifications, if any (logistics, etc)
Will there be Internet Facility? Yes. For everyone? Yes

Move documents to be clearly visible on TC homepage

6) AI Review
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ws-rx/members/action_items.php

AI002 – Still not done.

AI012 – Paul – has sent note to Jamie, no reply.

AI025 – Will be done at F2F (Chris F), Will send PaulC something before F2F

AI029   Anish – Will be done by F2F

Anish: Does Chris Kurt have any update on OASIS CVS

Chris K: no. Will ask Jamie.

7) New issues since last conf-call

One new issue – Anish – Anonymous URI

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ws-rx/email/archives/200509/msg00090.html

Accepted.

Umit offered to own this issue.

8) Generate and assign AI for issues with no proposals
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ws-rx/200509/msg00107.html

Sanjay sent an email. Following up, some confirmation.

i002  Anish is working on this, proposal at end of week

i003  Action item: Anish generate a proposal for i003

i006  Belongs to Tom

i008  Belongs to Tom

i009  Chris, already submitted formal proposal.

i010  Action Item on Doug Davis to create a proposal

i024  Open an AI against Ashok

9) Issue Discussion:
a> i019 and i028

Before discussion. Sanjay urged the TC not to lose sight of the issue definitions.

Jacques Durand to as briefly as possible restate the problems.

Jacques: Issues beaten to death. Issue 19: better support from the protocol for resolving doubt, ending when something happens due to a fault. There may be gaps in sequences. The RMS may not know if a message has been received or not. May cause problems on the accuracy of the view of the RMS. Protocol has been designed to promote delivery assurance.

Issue is clear enough. In the event the sequence ends due to fault. It could be the RMS has no ack.

Issue i028 is again, same fuzziness on the accuracy of the RMS view of which messages have been delivered. Designing a protocol which must be good enough to support the DAs and manage these failure cases. Don’t lose sight of the DAs.

DougD: Proposal has been there for 4 weeks. It can be voted on. Stefan put a note suggesting there should be a new issue. The TC needs to keep moving. The general view has been out there. No changes to the core content. Motion that if we vote on this proposal. If we change later that’s fine. In the meantime, lets vote.

Gil seconded the motion.

Stefan. Doug summarized what I was going to say. Feedback to Stefan’s proposal. Not addressing i019. Stefan’s proposal does address i028. I agree that the proposal needs new issues. Stefan to take

AI – Stefan to submit new issue and use cases

No problem with voting.

Sanjay: are you withdrawing yr proposals

Stefan: yes at the moment.

Giovanni: Current proposal is better understood. Tried to stay away from knowing the DA outside the RMS/RMD. If all we know in the close proposal is all that made it to the RMD, then there remains the question of what has been delivered to the Destination. E.g. if they are sitting behind a gap, and ordered delivery, then they still wont be delivered to destination.

Sequence gives me an accurate state of the RMD, but I want to know about the delivery state at the agent.

Chris Ferris: talk about whole DA. The DA is irrelevant. The purpose of this is to know which messages have been received. Impossible to know which have been delivered.

InOrder is unchanged. If gap never filled, don’t deliver those messages. Impossible to know if they are delivered. Only an assumption.

What the RMS chooses to do with that state is undefined.

Stefan: +1 Chris. Doug – in the crisp close proposal not clear, are we actually removing the blur in the spec? What does the RMD do if it gets a terminate s and there are gaps?

Chris: Same as before.

Jacques: What’s difficult? When Chris says it can’t be addressed in terms of DA – Chris statement relates to DA, even though the DA is defined on the destination side. The value of this is to give more accurate status to the RMS.

In non-delivery, an error must be raised at one endpoint. Makes sense the RMS should be aware. The protocols value is the extent it supports DA.

Doug Davis: Could Giovanni open an issue to capture the issue about delivery to the destination? Independent of this issue.

Giovanni: Happy to open a separate issue.

Chris Ferris: Respond to Giovanni. What I meant – even in a perfectly complete sequence you can’t know if they were delivered. After the final ack, RMD may blow up. Can’t know with any certainty that messages were actually delivered.

Sanjay: lets not get off scope – focus on 19 and 28.

There is a motion on the floor, seconded. Is the motion clear?

Please restate the motion.

Technically the motion was to vote on the proposal.

Anish: I propose to amend the motion to accept Doug’s proposals

Doug: no objection and seconded.

Anish has an amendment. Any objections to Anish’s amendment. No.

The motion is to accept Doug’s proposal – as outlined in message number 76.

Are there any objections to the motion or further comments? Is a vote necessary?

Jorgen: MS would like a recorded vote to be able to abstain.

Results of vote

Alexander

Leyfer

YES

Duane

Nickull

ABSTAIN

Gilbert

Pilz

YES

Lei

Jin

YES

Dave

Orchard

YES

Ian

Jones

ABSTAIN

Andreas

Bjarlestam

YES

Kazunori

Iwasa

ABSTAIN

Jacques

Durand

YES

Hamid

Ben Malek

YES

Eisaku

Nishiyama

YES

Robert

Freund

YES

Peter

Niblett

YES

Doug

Davis

YES

Christopher

Ferris

YES

Daniel

Millwood

YES

Rebecca

Bergersen

YES

Jorgen

Thelin

ABSTAIN

Colleen

Evans

ABSTAIN

Paul

Cotton

ABSTAIN

Marc

Goodner

ABSTAIN

Stefan

Batres

ABSTAIN

Jonathan

Marsh

ABSTAIN

Asir

Vedamuthu

ABSTAIN

Chouthri

Palanisamy

YES

Paul

Knight

ABSTAIN

Steve

Carter

YES

Lloyd

Burch

YES

Ashok

Malhotra

YES

Sumit

Gupta

YES

Eric

Rajkovic

YES

Anish

Karmarkar

YES

Steve

Winkler

YES

Umit

Yalcinalp

YES

Pete

Wenzel

ABSTAIN

Giovanni

Boschi

YES

Ram

Jeyaraman

ABSTAIN

Doug

Bunting

ABSTAIN

Shivajee

Samdarshi

ABSTAIN

Dan

Leshchiner

NO

Vadim

Furman

YES

Paul

Fremantle

ABSTAIN

Records of minutes…. 25 y, 1 no, 16 abstentions

Motion passed.

PaulC: When are we going to see amended doc?

Doug: take an Action Item to have a revised doc by the F2F.

PaulC: I was hoping to have it by F2F

ChrisF: have to be careful here. Number of proposals that refer to line items in current spec.

PaulC: I suggest the editors should allow line # proposals against different versions.

Sanjay: I take it that there are a bunch of issues in editor pending status. Before F2F there should be an update to the doc.

PaulC: You can take it the way you want. I will take it the way I want to.

Sanjay: If there are other issues, new issues can be opened which may update/replace/undo previous changes.

Gil: with regards to Paul’s comment. If proposals don’t specify a given spec, it wont scale. Proposal should include line numbers against a given version. Versioning tricky without a CVS.

Doug: Proposal links to PDF. Suggest all proposals do this.

Umit: We can add temporary version numbers. Point to specific URI specific document.

Sanjay: All issues point to current spec PDF docs. Until the TC decides to have a new version.

Anish: Agreed in the past stable line numbers in the PDF. Other versions are available. Look at latest, and point to the document from which line numbers are based.

9c) Next Issue: i027

Andreas: The issue is to clarify the spec about the meaning of InOrder – that it does not span sequences.

Chris has posted a URI.

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ws-rx/email/archives/200509/msg00126.html

Gil: comments are tangential

Jacques: clarification. Not in the scope of spec. It is a legitimate problem. A third party can resolve it but we won’t. It doesn’t mean its not a concern.

Chris: yes but the spec won’t say anything

Gil: Need to raise another issue. Change the spec around, that the spec is about supporting not implement DA.

Chris: I hope the issue 9 proposal addresses this.

Sanjay: Review DA later.

Gil: Agree

Sanjay: is there a motion on the table?

Is there any objection to unanimous consent to accept this proposal. Silence.

Proposal accepted.

10) Discuss F2F agenda.

Jorgen: Can the editors have a new baseline draft by the F2F.

Doug: Yes

Anish: Committee Draft? Is an OASIS Committee Draft is equal to a W3C Working Group Draft.

Paul C. The question is when can the TC convert an editors draft into a Committee Draft. Not for public review.

Sanjay: IPR implications.

Paul F: The implications come through voting on a document. By accepting a committee draft it forms a concrete version on which the TC members have a licensing obligation.

Chris Kurt: The last statement confused me. Real clear about the obligations. Only one place. We are past the 60days. If someone leaves the TC then they are obligated to license the most recent committee draft that was voted on.

Anish: what it seems to me is we need to do our homework before the F2F.

Sanjay: Other discussion about the F2F?

Umit: no space for new issues.

Sanjay: Good suggestion. By Monday a more detailed posting.

Anish: What time would you like to end the meeting.

Sanjay: Suggestion is 5pm.

Sanjay: please continue discussion on the mailing list.

11). Any other business?

None

Meeting adjourned.