Subject: RE: [ws-rx] i010 - a proposal

Jacques,
  Sorry for the delay - I like the direction you'd headed with this.   Hopefully, I'll be able to write up a more crisp list of changes this week.  Included in there I think will be the removal of the text that says the CreateSequence's wsa:To is the RMD and that the wsa:ReplyTo is the RMS.  It was added to the spec late in the game and I don't think it adds anything  - in fact hurts by encouraging the idea of a single endpoint for the RMS and RMD.
thanks,
-Doug

Jacques Durand <JDurand@us.fujitsu.com>

09/23/2005 06:56 PM

Doug Davis/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS, ws-rx@lists.oasis-open.org
RE: [ws-rx] i010 - a proposal

Doug:

I believe there is a way to achieve what you are trying to do without resorting to extending the spec to handle multiple RMS or RMD, which I strongly advise against (so many statements in WS-RM assume that sequences happen over a single RMD and a single  RMS - departing from this would mean a tedious "model" upgrade I believe.)

I know it may look like just a modeling game, but I'd rather :
- make the definitions of RMS and RMD abstract enough so that they tolerate distributed implementations,
Rather than:
- introduce the concept of  a sequence spanning "multiple RMSs / RMDs".
After all, if I understand your point at the f2f, you still expect these distributed RMDs to behave virtually like a single one.

In order to do this - and also to allow for spanning several endpoints, in the sense of Service endpoints - we could relax the association RMD / endpoint. For example, the core definitions could be:

Line 182: - RMS: An addressable SOAP processing entity able to execute all functions associated with sending
reliable messages, as specified in this document (as well as in WS-RM Policy).

Line 183: - RMD: An addressable SOAP processing entity able to execute all functions associated with receiving
reliable messages, as specified in this document (as well as in WS-RM Policy)..

Line 80:  I would suggest simply: "It defines a messaging protocol to identify, track, and manage the
reliable delivery of messages transmitted between a source party and a
destination party." (avoiding to mention any number of parties)

There also several places where "endpoint" is used abusively instead of RMD or RMS.
In Section 2: (L-147, L-150...) use the term "RMD" instead of just "endpoint".
More generally, endpoint should mean either service endpoint or client endpoint (e.g. rename " AD endpoint",  "AS endpoint"), which may have a different address than the RMD or RMS.

In Section 3.2 and elsewhere, expressions like "RM Source endpoint." should be reduced to just "RM Source", given that an RMS or RMD might not be addressable as the same endpoint as the Source or Destination.

Jacques