Subject: Re: [ws-rx] NEW ISSUE: Remove LastMessage

Christopher B Ferris wrote:

> Anish,
>
> Please see my comments below.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Christopher Ferris
> STSM, Emerging e-business Industry Architecture
> email: chrisfer@us.ibm.com
> blog: http://webpages.charter.net/chrisfer/blog.html
> phone: +1 508 377 9295
>
> Anish Karmarkar <Anish.Karmarkar@oracle.com> wrote on 11/30/2005
> 06:16:53 PM:
>
> [...]
>  >
>  > 3) What I'm saying is the following -
>  > When:
>  > a) an LM marker is present in the last message, and
>  > b) the RMD receives all the messages upto and including the message with
>  > the LM marker. I.e. all the messages in the range [1, Seqno(LM-message)]
>  > then:
>  > at that point the RMD knows that it has received all the messages in the
>  > sequence. In certain implementations it can make the determination that
>  > it no longer needs the message store (it still needs to be around to ack
>  > messages) -- assuming that the messages have been successfully delivered
>  > to the AD. i.e., it can give up its message store resource at this point
>  > but *not* terminate the Sequence.
>
> Why would you keep messages in the store that have been delivered?
> Wouldn't a
> sensible implementation delete the messages from the store once they had
> been successfully delivered? What am I missing?

It would be certainly be sensible to delete the messages from the store
once they have been successfully delivered.

I'm talking about releasing the message store/queue/whatever (not the
messages). The RMD can release the store/queue/whatever when it gets the
last message with the LM marker and has received all other messages,
even if it has not received the TerminateSquence marker.

Does that make sense?

-Anish