Subject: [i061] Anonymous AcksTo

Anish - did you want to offer up some suggested changes?
thanks
-Doug

Doug Davis/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS

10/27/2005 12:43 PM

ws-rx@lists.oasis-open.org
[ws-rx] [NEW ISSUE] Anonymous AcksTo  and my AI

Per my AI[1] and after reading the changes to WS-Addressing w.r.t. the anonymous URI[2] I think it might be good for the RM spec to add some additional text to help readers understand exactly how the sending of Acks can greatly impact their soap stack implementations.  In particular I think the text needs to make it clear that:

to that end....a new issue:

Title: Anonymous AcksTo

Descripton: Add text, similar to above, to the spec.  It should be placed in the Sequence Ack section.

Justification: see above

Target: core

Proposal:

After the first paragraph in the SeqAck section (currently section 3.2) add something like:

----

Sending Sequence Acknowledgement Header blocks back to the AcksTo EPR could have an impact on current SOAP implementations.  While this specification discusses the ability to add, or piggy-back, a Sequence Acknowledgement Header block to a message that is targetted to the AcksTo EPR, the precise mechanism for determining when any particular message is targetted, or not, to the AcksTo EPR is out of scope for this specification.  However, WS-Addressing does give some guidance on EPR comparision.

Using the WS-Addressing's anonymous IRI in the AcksTo EPR may further impact implementations. When the AcksTo EPR uses the anonymous IRI, Sequence Acknowledgements MUST be sent on the appropriate protocol binding-specific channel.  For example, in the HTTP case, Sequence Acknowledgements would be expected to flow on the HTTP response flow.  It is worth noting that this may result in new SOAP messages being generated and sent in certain situations.  For example, if on an HTTP request flow the SOAP message contained a wsa:ReplyTo that didn't use the anonymous IRI, then it is possible to a new SOAP message may need to flow back on the HTTP response flow for the sole purpose of carrying a Sequence Acknowledgement.  Because the anonymous IRI is a general purpose IRI that can be used by many concurrent RM Sequences, Sequence Acknowledgements that are sent to the AcksTo EPR using these protocol binding-specific channels SHOULD only be sent when it can be determined that the channel is related to the RM Sequence.  For example, Sequence Acknowledgements should only be piggy-backed on HTTP response flows where the message that was sent on the HTTP request flow referenced the Sequence in question through the use of a Sequence or AckRequested Header block.

-----

Maybe we should say that they should compare EPRs per WSA's rules?  thoughts?

Another option for the anon AcksTo is to encourage people to use ref-p's to disamiguate anonymous EPRs - but I still like the idea of restricting back-channel flows.

thanks

-Doug

[1] http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ws-rx/members/action_item.php?action_item_id=1049

[2] http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ws-rx/email/archives/200510/msg00169.html