Subject: RE: [ws-rx] Issue 060 ammendment to current proposal

Part of me wonders if we should just be talking about RMS and RMD and not AS/AD at all.
-Doug

All of me wants to drop AD/AS.

  1. Implementers should be free to design and control how they process messages “in order”.  As long as they understand the intentions of the RMS (re-create the stream) and can make decisions on that, that is all we should care about.
  2. The WS-RX spec should not constrain all service implementations to a specific model or pattern of AS -> RMS -> RMD -> AD
  3. We should not constrain service by mandating that any message or message sequence received by the RMD cannot be divided to multiple endpoints.  The way AD is worded now, it appears that all messages of one sequence must be “delivered” to another single actor in order.  What if someone wants to have the first in a sequence go to endpoint #1, the second go to endpoint #2 etc?  The RMS should not care as long as the “externally visible aspects” of the service match their expectations.

There are several other reasons but for these alone I would prefer to drop AD, AS from the spec and perhaps replace it with some words that reflect the real intention which I believe is to allow the RMD to understand the sequence intentions of the RMS yet leave implementers free to handle the intentions in a way they see fit.  We should stick to “externally visible properties” only and not dictate specific models behind a service interface.

Duane