Subject: WS-RM and WS-RMPolicy references

Here are some questions with proposed answers for the TC to consider re the WS-RM [1] and RMPolicy references [2].  This email corresponds to the action item that Chris Ferris and I took this morning at the F2F meeting.

1. [SOAP]

W3C Note, "SOAP: Simple Object Access Protocol 1.1," 08 May 2000.

Q: Should the TC add a normative reference to SOAP 1.2?

A: Given that Section 4 Faults refers to both SOAP 1.1 and SOAP 1.2, I propose that a normative reference to SOAP 1.2 should be added.

2. [XML-ns]

W3C Recommendation, "Namespaces in XML," 14 January 1999.

Q: Should the TC update this reference to Namespaces in XML 1.1 (http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-names11/)?

A: Namespaces in XML 1.1 is meant to be used with XML 1.1 document so I expect we should NOT make this change since neither SOAP 1.1 nor SOAP 1.2 reference XML 1.1.  See my suggestion below about adding a reference to XML 1.0.

3. [WS-Addressing]

D. Box, et al, "Web Services Addressing (WS-Addressing)," August 2004.

This reference should be re-considered when the deferred Issue 42 is resolved.

4. [SecurityPolicy]

G. Della-Libra, "Web Services Security Policy Language (WS-SecurityPolicy)," December 2002.

Q: Should the TC update his reference to the most recent version of the Security Policy document which is dated July 2005 (http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/ws/2005/07/securitypolicy/ <http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/ws/2005/07/securitypolicy/>  )?

A. Since the July 2005 document has been contributed to the OASIS WS-SX TC, I propose that we update this non-normative reference to the most recent published version.

5. [XML]

Q: Should the TC consider adding a normative reference to XML 1.0 Third Edition?  Note that RMPolicy already refers to XML 1.0 Third Edition.

A: Yes.  I propose that a reference to XML be added to the RM Abstract.  I propose that the text:

>By using the SOAP [SOAP] and WSDL [WSDL] extensibility model,

be changed to match the following text from RMPolicy:

>By using the XML [XML], SOAP [SOAP], and WSDL [WSDL 1.1] extensibility models,

Note to Editors: RM uses the reference form [WSDL] and RMPolicy uses the form [WSDL 1.1].  I suggest you harmonize the form of the "WSDL" references across the two documents.

6. RMPolicy references

a) [SOAP]

I propose we also add a reference to SOAP 1.2 and leave it to the Editor's to figure out where the reference should be used.

b) [XML-NS]

I propose no change as per my point above.

c) [WS-Addressing]

Not used in RMPolicy

d) [SecurityPolicy]

Not used in RMPolicy.

e) [XML]

A reference to XML 1.0 Third Edition already exists in RMPolicy.

/paulc

[1] http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ws-rx/download.php/15789/wsrm-1.1-spec-wd-07.pdf

[2] http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ws-rx/download.php/15796/wsrmp-1.1-spec-wd-02.pdf

Paul Cotton, Microsoft Canada