Subject: RE: [ws-rx] i075: a proposal

Title: RE: [ws-rx] i075: a proposal
If we do not define anything within the RMAssertion then, from our perspective, there can be no conflicting policies. If some other individual or group defines, by extension, either attributes or child elements of the RMAssertion then it is up to them to define what happens if and when these attributes or elements "conflict".

For example someone could define an extension child element of RMAssertion named "UseUniqueSequence". The presence of this element means that the RMS/RMD should negotiate a unique sequence for the corresponding endpoint. It is the nature of this extension that it can't possibly conflict with similarly extended policies attached to other endpoints so the author of such an extenstion would not, in this case, be required to address the "policies conflict for same sequence" issue.

What I'm saying is that, unless we put something in the RMAssertion that can conflict across a sequence, we don't have to say anything (more accurately can't say anything) about how to resolve such possible conflicts.

We may want to add a meta-note to the exposition of the RMAsserstion extensions points saying that "putting something here may create a situation in which multiple, sequence-specific policies conflict" and "sorry we can't help you with this".

- g

From: Jacques Durand [mailto:JDurand@us.fujitsu.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2006 12:00 PM
To: 'Anish Karmarkar'
Cc: Doug Davis; ws-rx@lists.oasis-open.org

Not sure what the latest about this.
Regardless of how hollow the policy assertion becomes, it seems we still have potential policies associated *somehow*  to services endpoints, that could be different from one to the other.

So the latest proposal currently on the table is still relevant:

> After line 485 in [1]:
> The RM Policy parameters in effect for each Sequence is governed by the
> endpoint
> that was used for the <wsrm:CreateSequence> message.

Comments:
- "used for" is a little vague. How about " ...endpoint to which the <wsrm:CreateSequence> message was destined."
- add a requirement: "When the CS is destined to an endpoint beyond the RMD, the RMD must prevent it to reach this destination."

Jacques