Subject: RE: [ws-rx] Gil's proposal for i021

I'm not sure if I think those other specs are "wrong". I would have to think about them on a case by case basis. To me the primary driver for making WS-RM Policy reflect the split between inbound and outbound is the fact that a single sequence can only service messages in one direction. As an Application Source I would really like to know if I need to worry about configuring my RMS to support offered/inbound sequences. If there are no <wsrmp:RMOutbound> policies attached to the endpoints that I am using, I know that I do not have to worry about servicing incoming sequences. If there is only a single <wsrmp:RMAssertion> that "vaguely" applies to both inbound and outbound messages then WS-RM Policy is of no help to me on this matter and I need to reach for the phone . . .

- gp

From: Doug Davis [mailto:dug@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Saturday, February 04, 2006 1:08 AM
To: ws-rx@lists.oasis-open.org

Gil,
  About the split between inbound and outbound messages in your proposal - the other specs that I've seen that use policy do not make this differentiation - they simply say "foo is on" and leave it at that.  Whether that means it applies to both directions or just incoming is left a bit vague.  I'm wondering if you're suggesting that those other specs are wrong to not have this split?  Your proposal adds quite a bit of extra 'stuff' when other specs haven't seen the need to.  Without a lot of experience "under our belts" about how people will use this stuff I'm a bit concerned by the inconsistency between what the RM spec would look like (if we adopted your proposal) and the rest of the WS-* specs.
thanks,
-Doug

Christopher B Ferris/Waltham/IBM

02/03/2006 02:53 PM

"Yalcinalp, Umit" <umit.yalcinalp@sap.com>
cc
Doug Davis/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS, "Patil, Sanjay" <sanjay.patil@sap.com>
Subject
RE: [ws-rx] Gil's proposal for i021Link

Umit,

The technical problem is as I outlined in my previous note. It requires that the RMS have access
to the WSDL. I don't believe that will always be the case. Thus, it is a problem.

blog: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/dw_blog.jspa?blog=440
phone: +1 508 377 9295