Subject: Re: [ws-rx] i090 - Offer, let's get back to the original question

Hi folks,

I think that Paul and Marc are doing good stuff here to try and address the original question in i090, without attempting to solve i089. However, I think that the proposals below don't quite adress that point - if we are not considering the anon cases then there is really no need to link the sequences. [1]

i090 asks 2 core questions, quoting from the issue "... the RMD is not informed of the endpoint it should use to send protocol messages back to the RMS for the offered sequence, or which AD endpoints the sequence can be used for."

Taking the 2 in turn:

a) Where should protocol messages for the offered Sequence be sent?

I think this is something we can solve, and I don't like the idea of assuming that the replyTo from the create sequence is the right place. Nor do I think that the acksTo for the outbound sequence is a good match. I think it's better to allow the RMS and RMD to be as cleanly seperated as possible. To that end I propose adding a EPR into the Offer element:

Line 247 Insert:
<wsrm:Endpoint> wsa:EndpointReferenceType </wsrm:Endpoint>

Line 282 Insert
/wsrm:CreateSequence/wsrm:Offer/wsrm:Endpoint
This REQUIRED element, of type wsa:EndpointReferenceType as specified by WS-Addressing [WSAddressing] specifies the endpoint reference to which WS-RM protocol messages and faults related to the offered Sequence are to be sent.

b) Which endpoints can the sequence can be used for?

I think the spec should be silent on this. We left it up to the implementation to work out which sequence to use on the outbound side, and I think it's best to follow the precident on the reply side. All we really know is that the reply should go to the endpoint dictated by WS-A, and it's up to the replying system to choose an appropriate system.

I don't think that any spec changes are required to make that clear, though I'm open to suggestions for clarification.

I'd like this proposal to replace the existing proposal 1 (removal of offer), if possible.

Thanks,

Matt

[1] And, yes, I think the outcome of i089 may well need to link the sequences, but I'm trying to stay on topic here ;)