Subject: RE: [ws-rx] Revised proposal for 122, 123, 124

inline

From: Patil, Sanjay [mailto:sanjay.patil@sap.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 2:49 PM
To: Marc Goodner; ws-rx@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi Marc,

Couple of  clarification questions. Here is a cut-paste of the concerned text from your proposal:

When a RM Source transmits a CreateSequence that has been extended to include a wsse:SecurityTokenReference it should ensure that the RM Destination both understands and will conform with the requirements listed above. In order to achieve this, the RM Source SHOULD include the UsesSequenceSTR element as a SOAP header block within the CreateSequence message. When this element includes a soap:mustUnderstand attribute with a value of 'true', the RM Source can be assured that a RM Destination that responds with a CreateSequenceResponse understands and conforms with the requirements listed above.

Questions:

1> It seems that the RMS may choose to not include the UsesSequenceSTR SOAP header block. What is the expected RMD behavior in this case? Can the RMS infer anything upon receiving the CSR. If nothing, then how interoperable would be the use of CS/STR without the UsesSequencesSTR header block?

MG: This is exactly the concern that caused the introduction of the header block (and the assertion). Our proposal is not to use the CS/STR without the header block. I’m afraid that the extensibility point in the CS makes it difficult to lock this down completely. If there is a demonstrated interop problem of people using the CS/STR without the header block I would suggest the WS-I RSP could lock this down.

2> It seems that the RMS may choose to not include the soap:mustUnderstand attribute (with a value of "true") on the UsesSequenceSTR SOAP header block. What are the RMS and RMD expectations in this case?

MG: Actually this is something we didn’t think about, that is ambiguous. I would accept that the mU value of this header should always be true. I cold either accept that as an amendment to the proposal or I could get a revision with this change back to the list. Whichever is easier for people to digest.

-- Sanjay