Subject: Anon / RM MakeConnection: [reply ep] = none

Chris, Paul:

What's wrong with [reply endpoint = none]?

1. None URI means "no response expected", implies transport ack only. Contents of transport response body would reasonably be ignored by a WS-A implementation.

2. WS-A receiver of [reply endpoint] = None URI will not stall for an application handoff or for application response: it will pass the inbound message, and immediately ack the sender, and lose all context (transport response, message id correlation information).

3. RM would be asking WS-A implementations to stop natural, generic behaviours 1. and 2., and become aware of RM.

4. None URI means ack only. Anon means SOAP envelope in the transport response, always. New URI needed to mean: "May be SOAP, may be ack". Receiver of new URI (APAO below) knows to stall for application release before acking (empty response body) or SOAPing (full response body).

Alternatives

1. We can't use [reply endpoint] = anon (the default) because the WS-A SOAP Binding limits this to cases where there is always a SOAP envelope in the transport response (ack only forbidden). I believe this is the only obstacle. Everything else is proceeding from that WS-A limitation. (If this perceived limitation does not exist, then I would see no reason not to use anon URI.)

2. Create a special URI, as anticipated by the WS-A SOAP Binding, that means: "Transport response can either be message or ack-alone".

3. Call this special URI .../anonymous/permittingAckOnly (APAO). [Not a good name, a strawman]

4. Send MakeConnection/ReplyTo/Address=APAO. Allow ref-params in the normal manner. (Ref params can't be handled with current solution).

5. Permit MakeConnection to contain a sequence Identifier, if desired, (as per current solution).

6. Allow for an extension element in MC, if the app wants to identify the conversation. The identity of the conversation only has to be unambiguous between the application parties, so UUID is bound to be right, but not always needed. The type of the identification is an app issue. If you don't like that, permit MC to contain a connection identifier, type is UUID (closest to current solution).

7. Decide who's going to own the special APAO URI. It really should be WS-Addressing, as this is a general, app-level requirement. RM is permitting an application behaviour (the message stream is application content, which may, in the RM context, be bracketed by some RM set-up and tear-down, as it happens).

8. If process/timescales force RM to "stand in" for WS-Addressing, then this means worrying about impact on WS-A implementations (which is where this started from for me). See above re implications for WS-A implementations of use of none URI

Alastair

Christopher B Ferris wrote:

Alastair,

I don't think that MakeConnection "invites a response"... rather, it opens up the back-channel
(when transmitted over a protocol such as HTTP that has an inherent back-channel) for the
transmission of a message.

I think that there is a difference... a large one at that.

A SOAP Response is entirely different than a protocol response message. In the context
of a oneway message, carried over a protocol such as HTTP, there is a response message
that may not carry a SOAP envelope in its entity body. It is a protocol-level response, not necessarily
a SOAP level-response. The fact that we are exploiting this is what MakeConnection is all about.

As Paul indicated, I would be happy if we suggested that WS-A none URI be specified as the
ReplyTo address, but frankly, I think that that is something for the WS-A WG to work out.

STSM, Software Group Standards Strategy
email: chrisfer@us.ibm.com
blog: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/dw_blog.jspa?blog=440
phone: +1 508 377 9295