Subject: Re: [ws-rx] Reference parameters and properties

Clearly, but it does illustrate the natural impulse to use ref-params in a contractually-agreed manner which (above the WS-A layer) is not opaque. I don't object to this "hack". I think it shows what you can do with ref-params between consenting adults.

Alastair

Marc Goodner wrote:

This was a hack added to the RM interop scenarios to trigger specific behavior we were trying to test.

From: Alastair Green [mailto:alastair.green@choreology.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 03, 2006 3:59 PM
To: ws-rx@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [ws-rx] Reference parameters and properties

The RM interop document referred to by Marc in his "Short History" contains the following paragraph:

Some of the scenarios described in this document require that the service change its behavior depending on the scenario being executed. In order for the service to know the behavior that is expected this document defines a set of WS-Addressing reference properties [my emphasis] that should be included at part of the wsa:To EPR for all client to service messages associated with the scenario:

<rmi:acceptOffer> (true | false) </rmi:acceptoffer>
<rmi:useOffer> (true | false) </rmi:useOffer>
<rmi:useHTTPResponse> (true | false) </rmi:useHTTPResponse>

Isn't this an example of non-opaque, transparent reference parameters?  I presume that in the modern world contractually-agreed ref params are used to effect the communication of these semantics, but otherwise no change?

Alastair