Subject: Re: [ws-rx] PR Issue 22: concrete proposal

Gil,

The proposed text starting on line 564 makes the false assumption that messages are transmitted in MessageNumber order.
I don't think that this is necessarily a safe assumption. I think that it could also be misinterpreted to mean the
last transmitted Sequence Traffic Message as opposed to the one with the highest MessageNumber (note that
a retransmission, even in the case where the messages are initially transmitted in order, could be the last one
transmitted). Finally, the text you had proposed is not explicit as to WHICH Sequence this all applies... Clearly, you
meant to indicate that this applies to the Sequence being terminated.

I would propose that that text starting on line 564 be modified as follows:

In order to allow the RM Destination to determine if it has received all of the
messages in a Sequence, the RM Source includes a LastMsgNumber element in the
TerminateSequence message. The LastMsgNumber element specifies the highest message
number of all Sequence Traffic Messages for the particular Sequence being terminated. The RM Destination can use this information, for example, to implement the
behavior indicated by /wsrm:CreateSequenceResponse/wsrm:IncompleteSequenceBehavior.

Also, starting on line 588, the same issue applies. Suggest replacing with the following text:

The RM Source MUST include this element in any TerminateSequence messages it sends. The RM
Source MUST set the value of this element to the highest MessageNumber of any Sequence Traffic Message
for the Sequence identified in this TerminateSequence message.

STSM, Software Group Standards Strategy
email: chrisfer@us.ibm.com
blog: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/page/chrisferris
phone: +1 508 377 9295