Subject: RE: [ws-rx] PR Issue 22: concrete proposal

Gil:

Actually, your initial goal as stated in your proposal:

(a)
" [In order] to allow the RM Destination to determine if it has received
all of the messages in a Sequence,..."

Is not quite the same as:

(b)
> All we want is for the receiver
> to have the ability to determine if this scenario occurred or if it
didn't

The difference between these, is that in (b) you do not care at all
about receiving a TS/CS or not (in case not, the scenario just did not
occur...), while in order to achieve (a) you absolutely need a TS+LM or
a CS+LM, otherwise you can NOT determine if the messages you received
form a complete sequence. Now we know that this last goal (a) is not
always achievable due to loss of CS/TS. But we know it is desirable that
the protocol does its best to ensure it.  Which is why Stefan's question
is legitimate.

Let's assume (a).

My take on this, is:
- an implementation should not be required to do this extra effort of
resending CS or TS (concede it may not be clear in my previous mail).
- in case an implementation decides to support this extra effort
(controlled by an external agreement, like details of traffic message
resending), it is sufficient to do resending of CS, not of TS.
- In all cases, and RMD implementation never needs to keep sequence
state after it got the TS.

Not sure where the "overkill" is :-)

Jacques