Subject: RE: [ws-rx] Need to finish-up DA def discussion...

Jacques,

Thanks for putting this together. I am not sure whether you intentionally left out the text for AtLeastOnce DA in your note below. Also, does this text address the AI assigned to Peter on the last call?

Overall, I think it will be very helpful to see a formal proposal in terms of the latest version of the specifications at this point of time. May I get a volunteer to put together a formal proposal in advance of this week's call.

-- Sanjay

From: Durand, Jacques R. [mailto:JDurand@us.fujitsu.com]
Sent: Thursday, Jan 25, 2007 16:30 PM
To: peter_niblett@uk.ibm.com
Cc: ws-rx@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [ws-rx] Need to finish-up DA def discussion...

The editorial action item on DAs only talk about merging the "consensus" discussed so far regarding DAs.

But as we decided to timebox discussion on DAs today, there was additional updates left undiscussed. In order to make sure we have enough time to discuss these on the list before next meeting, here they are:

- the AtMostOnce DA. (See previous mails) To summarize, here is the latest on the table, addressing comment from Stefan:

"Each message is to be delivered at most once. The RM Source MAY retry transmission of unacknowledged messages, but is NOT REQUIRED to do so. The requirement on the RM Destination is that it MUST filter out duplicate messages, i.e. that it MUST NOT deliver a duplicate of a message that has already been delivered."

- the Exactlyonce DA. (see previous mails). Here is the latest on the table:

"Each message is to be delivered at least once, or else a "delivery error" MUST [be raised by RMS and/or RMD]. A message also MUST NOT be delivered more than once. The requirement on an RM Source is that it SHOULD retry transmission of every message sent by the Application Source until it receives an acknowledgement from the RM Destination. The requirement on the RM Destination is that it SHOULD retry delivery to the Application Destination of every message that it accepts from the RM Source in case of unsuccessful delivery, and that it MUST NOT deliver a duplicate of a message that has already been delivered."

- the InOrderDA. (see previous mails). Here is the latest on the table:

Messages from a same sequence are to be delivered in the same order they have been sent by the Application Source. The requirement on an RM Source is that it MUST annotate messages so that the order in which they have been sent from the Application Source, is manifest in the message.  The requirement on the RM Destination is that it MUST deliver received messages for this sequence in the order indicated by the annotation mechanism - e.g. sequence numbers. The RM Destination MAY decide to delay delivery of messages in order to maximize the number of deliveries. Some received messages MAY never be delivered.

-Jacques