Subject: Re: [ws-rx] I just posted a PR comment on MakeConnection Policy assertion

Comments below

Tom Rutt

Gilbert Pilz wrote:
> This discussion really belongs in WS-Addr so I've cross-posted . . .
>
> I'm very uncomfortable with the idea that the non-presence of the
> wsam:NonAnonymousResponses implies that non-anonymous reply addresses are
> not supported. Doesn't this just re-open the festering wound of CR33?
>
> Both the wsam:AnonymousResponses and wsmc:MCResponses assertions refer to
> the use of fairly specific URIs, but wsam:NonAnonymousResponses refers to
> the use of *any* URI other than
> "http://www.w3.org/2005/08/addressing/anonymous";. To say that the absence of
> wsam:NonAnonymousResponses implies its negation is to say that *only*
> wsa:Anon is supported (thus ruling out things like the wsmc:Anon URI).
> Didn't we spend months figuring out that this wouldn't work?

Since these two policy assetions are nested in Addressing asssertion,
any policy maker
who includes the addressing assertion is aware of the semantics of its
two nested policy assertion types.

That policy maker can construct a policy expression which contains
enough alternatives to
cover all the response mechanisms it wants to use with that endpoint.

Anyway, lets assume we take out the text about "non presence means
prohibition".  if someone puts int "AnonymousResponses" nested assertion
in an addressing assertion and it is a requirement, that is saying that
other type of responses cannot be used (since anonymous is required for
instances of responses).  Thus to allow use of non anonymous responses
and anonymous responses would require two alternative in the policy
expression.

If we have to deal with alternatives anyway to espress the necessary
semantics of replies in a policy expression, I do not see the problem of
having "non Presence" of the NonAnonymousResponses
nested assertion in any alternative involving addressing assetion
implying non-anonymous is prohibited.  Just add another alternative
which includes the nested assertion you want.

Tom Rutt