Subject: Re: Result of Voting on WS-ReliableMessaging 1.1 as OASIS Standard]

hi,
   I assume from this somewhat cryptic email, that the TC will soon
be taking a special majority vote on whether to "override" the NO
comment and forge ahead.

   Oracle has looked at the no comment in some detail.

   From our analysis we find ourselves in agreement that relying upon
the Microsoft OSP is not suitable for complying with the requirements
of the OASIS IPR policy. The OASIS IPR Policy is stronger with
respect to:
    specification coverage - the obligation is for the entire
specification, not just the mandatory parts;
    defensive suspension;
    re-distribution requirements;
    and possibly some other points as well

BUT we believe that this is NOT relevant to this discussion and our
ultimate vote.

Under the OASIS IPR policy, which all members of the TC are legally
bound to by the OASIS membership agreement, once the 60 day
participation requirement is met, TC members are legally obligated to
grant licenses (or a suitable covenant not to sue/non-assert) to
implementers of the approved specification.

In this case Microsoft have said they will do that twice, once by
becoming and maintaining TC membership, and second in their IPR
declaration. We assume that all the TC member companies will do the
right thing when the time comes for implementers to seek licenses for
implementation of the WS-RX TC's specifications.

So from Oracle's perspective, the only issuee that could arise is if
Microsoft were to state that they were relying on the OSP as the
basis for compliance.

cheers,
   jeff

On Jun 04, 2007, at 8:28 AM, Paul Fremantle wrote:

> Folks
>
> In preparation for this week's call can I propose you read the
> following text from the TC procedures:
>
> However, if negative votes amounting to less than 15 percent of the
> voting membership have been cast, the TC shall be notified of the
> negative votes, after which the TC shall have 30 days to take one
> of the following actions by Resolution of a Special Majority Vote:
> (a) request the TC Administrator to approve the specification as
> submitted despite the negative votes; (b) withdraw the submission
> entirely; or (c) submit an amended specification, in which case the
> amended submission shall be considered as if it were a new
> submission, except that information regarding previous votes and
> any disposition of comments received in previous votes shall
> accompany the amended submission.
>
> Paul

Jeff Mischkinsky			          		jeff.mischkinsky@oracle.com
Director, Oracle Fusion Middleware and Web Services Standards	+1(650)
506-1975
Consulting Member Technical Staff           			500 Oracle Parkway, M/
S 4OP9
Oracle								Redwood Shores, CA 94065