Subject: Revocation versus cancelation of security tokens

Title: Revocation versus cancelation of security tokens

The specification is not clear in the difference between revocation and canceling a security token.

Assume the following scenario:

A WS consumer requests a token from a STS and includes the token in a SOAP message sent to the WS provider. Now the WS consumer may cancel the token at any point of time. The specification does not state the consequences of canceling a token.

During our discussion, we came to following clarification:

The cancel operation is a purely local operation on the STS. After canceling a token, a STS MUST not validate or renew the token. A STS MAY initiate the revocation of a token, however, revocation is out of scope of this specification and a client MUST not rely on it.

I’d suggest the following wording for clarification for “chapter 8: Cancel Binding”:

Regards,

Martijn de Boer