Subject: Proposed action item resolution for issue 11.

This email is a proposed resolution to issue 11 [1] and should close action item ACTION 2006-01-11-03 [2].

The issue can be summarized as that the charter appears to disallow requiring use of XPath but the specification appears to require XPath in certain cases. (in particular the SignedElements assertion relies upon XPath and is necessary to specify arbitrary elements).

I would suggest an additional WS-SX charter clarification to address this issue, as follows:

Currently the WS-SX charter[3] reads as follows (item 1c under security policies section):

"Such mechanisms must not require the use of XPath 1.0 [21] but may provide it as an option."

We have already agreed to remove the "1.0" from the sentence as part of the earlier F2F clarification discussion.

I propose we further clarify the charter by changing this sentence to read as follows:

"Mechanisms to protect SOAP header elements or the SOAP body element must not require the use of XPath [21]  but may provide it as an option."

The intent is to allow SignedElements to be used as specified, while clarifying that XPath need not be used when SignedParts is a choice.

The change is to replace "Such mechanisms" with "Mechanisms to protect SOAP header elements or the SOAP body element"

regards, Frederick

Frederick Hirsch
Nokia

Please note that the incorrect charter link is given in this issue, it links to WSS charter rather than WS-SX.