Subject: RE: [ws-sx] Use-Case and Proposed Solution for i010

Hi Prateek,

Thank you for explaining your scenario by pulling this document
together.

After reading the document it seems to me that your scenario can be done
by using the current WS-Trust specification without requiring any
changes.

Here is how I would do that using the current specs:

I would use WS-SecurityPolicy endorsing supporting token concept
(additional token inside the wsse:Security header that is used to sign
the primary message signature); the endorsing token will represent the
on-behalf-of party; this token will then be linked from within
OnBehalfOf RST element using STR.

By using endorsing supporting token to represent on-behalf-of party, the
initiator proves the possession of the endorsing supporting token's key
by signing the primary message signature with it.

Because the endorsing signature is contained in message wsse:Security
header, it is not necessary to extend the OnBehalfOf element to allow
signatures in it.

The advantage of this approach is that it uses existing concepts defined
by WS-SecurityPolicy to represent the on-behalf-of party; it does not
define a new way to represent and authenticate it.

Regardless of this, I would push back on your proposal in section 3.2.2.
in your document, because I have security concerns regarding this
proposal. By signing only reference(s) to on-behalf-of tokens, you don't
bind those tokens and the signature to the message instance. Therefore
an attacker can take those out and use them in different message and the
information in OnBehalfOf will still be valid. Please note that
endorsing token approach does not have this weakness, since the
endorsing signature signs the primary message signature, therefore it
cannot be used with any other message.

It is not clear to me why are you proposing to allow multiple
STRs/tokens inside OnBehalfOf element. Your scenario does not seem to
require this and I cannot find any other which would require using
multiple tokens to identify on-behalf-of party. Can you please help me
understand why do you think this is necessary?

Thanks,
--Jan