Subject: RE: [ws-sx] Issue 31: Token properties

I have been following this discussion since the Feb postings
with Werner and Martin and would like to try to contribute
my 2 cents.

The basic discussion seems to be whether ws-sp should define
just the specific profile to be used for a token type, such
as WssUsernameToken10, WssUsernameToken11, WssSamlV11Token10,
WssSamlV11Token11, WssSamlV20Token11, etc. (as is currently
being done), or to add detail in addition to these token
profile identifiers as to how to use the profile identified.

It seems to me from having participated in the WS-Security
1.0 Saml Token Profile Interop, that the profiles themselves,
do not even say how to exchange information as to what flavor
of the profile is to be used. In fact, the interop specs in
some ways are becoming the default set of "typed message
interchanges" that are commonly understood to "work" for the
profile. In addition there are WS/I definitions for profile
usages as well.

Therefore, my gut reaction is that to try to interpret the
charter as meaning that we should solve all these specific
interchanges for all the WS-Security profiles is taking on
a prohibitively large task.

Therefore, I am leaning to believe that Martin's statement
in an early part of this discussion makes the most sense
from my perspective.

> [MJG]
> The client needs to be able to construct a token that matches the
> token profile in use.
>
> If the token profile allows for variation, then the client can choose
> to send any token that matches the profile and the service should
> accept it.

The bottom line as I see it is that if we create a ws-sp infrastructure
and then implement interops with a set of selected token types as is
currently being done by Marc and Prateek, then those interop specs can
serve as guidance for additional token types and use cases.

  Thanks,
  Rich Levinson