Subject: RE: [ws-sx] Issue 94: Define Domain

It seems to me that the word "domain" is introduced specifically to prohibit
nested assertions that make no sense.  The bullet I quoted (Section 3.1.3 bullet 4)
says in its entirety:
"Assertions from one domain MUST NOT be nested inside
assertions from another domain.  For example, assertions from a transaction domain
should not be nested inside an assertion from a security domain."

Note that each security assertion defines the assertions that can be nested
within it or contained in a nested Policy.  The problem is that both these
situations allow extensibility for as-yet-undefined assertions and this seems to
where the "same domain" recommendation applies.

If all the assertions defined in WS-SecurityPolicy are put in the same domain
then, it seems to me, the "same domain" recommendation has no teeth as any
security assertion can be nested within any other security assertion.

Consider the following correct examples:

<sp:SignedParts>
  <sp:body/>
</sp:signedParts>

<sp:IssuedToken ...>
  <sp:Issuer> ... </sp:Issuer>
  <sp:RequestSecurityTokenTemplate TrustVersion = ...>
  </sp:RequestSecurityTokenTemplate>
</sp:IssuedToken>

Now if we swap nested assertions we get nonsense assertions

<sp:SignedParts>
  <sp:Issuer> ... </sp:Issuer>
  <sp:RequestSecurityTokenTemplate TrustVersion = ...>
  </sp:RequestSecurityTokenTemplate>
</sp:signedParts>

<sp:IssuedToken ...>
  <sp:body/>
</sp:IssuedToken>

Thus, it seems that domains should be defined as subsets of the security policy assertions.
Perhaps, authentication, protection, etc.  Or corresponding to the major divisions
of WS-SecurityPolicy.

All the best, Ashok