Subject: RE: RE: [ws-sx] Issue PR013: Need EncryptedSupportingTokensassertion

This is not the intention of the signed/encrypted elements assertions and should probably be clarified in the spec more explicitly. The integrity/confidentiality requirements for supporting tokens are controlled by various supporting tokens assertions. The timestamp integrity requirements are controlled by security binding [Timestamp] property in section 6.2:

6.2       [Timestamp] Property

This boolean property specifies whether a wsu:Timestamp element is present in the wsse:Security header. If the value is 'true', the timestamp element MUST be present and MUST be integrity protected either by transport or message level security. If the value is 'false', the timestamp element MUST NOT be present. The default value for this property is 'false'.

The processing rules regarding protection requirements are controlled by multiple factors, [Timestamp] property being one of them, type of supporting tokens assertion another one, (signed/encrypted)(parts/elements) yet another one. Also adding a supporting token into the message requires message signature as described in the text below that was copied from section 8 of the spec.

Does this help?

From: Tony Gullotta [mailto:tony.gullotta@soa.com]
Sent: Monday, January 29, 2007 8:31 PM
To: Jan Alexander; Symon Chang; Greg Carpenter; ws-sx@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: Marc Goodner; Hal Lockhart

Hmmm. I guess I would have thought the signed/encrypted elements assertions could be used for elements in the security header too so you would use them to indicate if you wanted the timestamp protected or not instead of assuming it would. I'm sorry to be a pest but I just want to make sure I'm not misunderstanding something. I get the importance of signing a timestamp but where exactly are the "processing rules" you are referring to that mandate that? 6.7 is only layout.

Tony