Subject: Re: [ws-sx] Issue i149: Trust13 assertion should be removed fromthe policy Example 2.2.3 and 2.2.4

I have looked this over as per discussion at 9/19 conf call.

While I do not disagree with the points Symon made, I think this
raises an issue as to what the final scope of the Examples document
should be. i.e. as a TC we probably should come to some final closure
on a final list of examples and what those examples should contain.
i.e. are there any examples that should be added or removed or
modified.

As per the 3 examples Symon identified, I will make the following
comments in that context, plus after that I recommend a procedure
for coming to final closure on this document:

2.2.3, 2.2.4
    Both these example show a "benign" sp:Trust13 assertion, which is
    a perfectly logical construct in these 2 examples and the request
    message as far as I can see contains the necessary info based on
    the assertion.

    What I personally would recommend is that the text of the message
    descriptions be enhanced to show how those messages comply with
    the assertion as an instructive example of using WS-Trust.

    However, I really think this falls in the category of those who might
    have an interest in these 2 examples may or may not think this
    adds value and therefore, I think this issue falls in the category
    of moving toward final closure on the document and its content.

2.3.2.4
    This example is currently unfinished in that it has no example message.
    Therefore it fits in the category of do we want to provide an
    example message if we want it in there, and I personally at this
    time do want it in there, and so would be willing to provide the
    required example.

    In the context of providing that example, I will review as to whether
    or not it appears that an sp:Trust13 assertion is useful or not and
    in particular will keep in mind the issue raised on ex 2.2.3 and 2.2.4
    and how those get resolved.

Proposed procedure for coming to closure:

Bottom line: I think we need to start moving toward closure on this
document, which I think can be achieved by the TC deciding on the
final list of examples that are to be included and tracking each one
to final closure.

I suggest the chairs might want to consider a process to expedite this
activity so that we can quickly come to a list of "these examples are
in and done" and "these other examples still have these 'issues' to
resolve".

Hopefully, 90% or more of the examples are already in a "finished"
state based on the work and reviews that have been done over the
last several months and that we can quickly identify what I think
is probably a small number of examples that we might want to
touch up a bit more before closing the doc. But I do think we
need to move toward dividing the doc into those examples and
sections we consider "finished" and those that need more work
in someone's opinion, preferably someone who is willing to do
the work to "finish" it.

For a starting point, I propose that we consider all examples
"finished" that currently have the following characteristics:

    1. A "Pnnn" section with a ws-sp policy
    2. A description following the "Pnnn" section that identifies
       line numbers etc describing the policy
    3. An "Mmmm" section that contains an example message.
    4. A description following the "Mmmm" section that identifies
       line numbers in the message and possibly correlates those
       lines to "Pnnn" numbers as well.

i.e. any example in the above category should be considered as
presumed complete unless a new issue is raised regarding its
content.

Any example that does not meet the above criteria should either
be completed or removed.

The examples that currently are not complete by the above criteria
are:

    2.3.2.4     needs message and both P and M text descr (+ needs to address Symon's issue)
    2.3.2.5     has message but needs both P and M text descr
    2.4.1      needs message and both P and M text descr

The following examples are in the "finished" state by this proposal:

    2.1.1.1
    2.1.1.2
    2.1.1.3
    2.1.2.1
    2.1.3
    2.1.3.1
    2.1.4

    2.2.1
    2.2.2
    2.2.3 (+ resolve Symon's issue)
    2.2.4 (+ resolve Symon's issue)

    2.3.1.1
    2.3.1.2
    2.3.1.3 (it refers to 2.3.2.3 for its message)
    2.3.1.4
    2.3.1.5

    2.3.2.1
    2.3.2.2