Subject: RE: [ws-sx] new WS-SX work item for discussion

Hi David,

I looked through  the attached Trust profile. Here  are some initial comments.

A lot of the document describes aspects of the health care application that are not directly related to use of WS-Trust.  Most of that information is useful  for putting the Trust profile in context but I’m not sure that an XSPA WS-Trust Profile is the best place for it.  I assume this level of understanding of the health care application would be equally useful to XSPA profiling efforts other than WS-Trust. It might make sense to factor the “end-to-end” application description out into a separate document that could motivate, and be referenced by, the XSPA  profiles.

Regarding section 4,  which does delve specifically into WS-Trust:

section 4.1.4: Request/Reponse – Cross Enterprise Patient lookup.

Lines 409-412

Patient search across enterprises may only require a coarse grain approach to authorization where an access control decision can be made without the evaluation of subject attributes.  In this case the responders services interface may execute the lookup without having to interact with the ACS this a result of trust between two STSs.

In order to understand  this better I’d like to see what trusted data actually drives the access control decision at the service interface.

line 417 Request

Line 417 indicates the following sections will describe a “request” but is immediately followed by  an example of a WS-Trust Request  Security Token Response. This caught me by surprise.  I expected this section to show the RST as well as the RSTR.

Line 513 Response

This section appears to describe the content of an  application response (patient record).  If there is some important relationship between the Trust protocol exchanges and the application response payload that requires the application response be described here, that relationship should be made clear. Otherwise I think this section could be safely removed (see my general comment above)

Section 1.1.1 Request / Response – Medical Record Access

Sane issues as with section 4.1.4 above.  The description of the “Request” starts with an RSTR and the RST is not described.  In this case, the application(?) level response is absent.

Section 4.1.6 Masking of Clinical Data

The response in this case will need to contain an obligation defining which object must be hidden from the requesting user.  The consuming ACS and its service interface must enforce this obligation”

What response is this section referring to? Is the application-level response, or the WS-Trust RSTR?

Section 4.1.6  Enforcement Cross Enterprise Business Rules

Same question as in section 4.1.6 comments above.

I hope you find these comments useful,

Regards,

   -greg