Subject: RE: Issue PR037: Questions on Versioning Problems ofWS-SecureConversation

Including the public comment list on this issue as it was adopted as the resolution on the Nov. 12th TC call.

-----Original Message-----
From: Greg Carpenter
Sent: Tuesday, November 11, 2008 4:30 PM
To: ws-sx@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: Marc Goodner; Chris Kaler; Kelvin Lawrence

Proposed response to the PR comment captured as issue PR037:

There isn't any difference between a SC 1.3 and SC 1.4 message-the SC namespace, elements  and semantics are identical in both versions. The TC decided to update the version number of the SC spec even though there were no normative changes to be consistent with the new versions of SP and Trust. There was discussion about this around the resolution of issue 152 where we added new namespaces for new content in SP 1.3 and Trust 1.4. The following meeting minutes contain the initial discussion and decision.

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ws-sx/200802/msg00010.html
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ws-sx/200802/msg00021.html
Regarding your specific questions:

- How can I tell which version of WS-SC should be use for amending, renewing and canceling by looking into the policy?

The additional text you noted in section 5.4.7 was added for clarification and does not change any behavior.  As there no differences in the SC 1.3 and 1.4 amend renew and cancel messages, there is no need to differentiate between them and no need for  a policy assertion to do so.

- How can I tell which version of WS-SC should be use from the incoming amend, renew and cancel requests?
There are no differences in the SC 1.3 and 1.4 amend renew and cancel messages, so there is no need to differentiate between them on the wire.

 More questions on the schema for both specifications:
- In WS-SP v1.3, there is only <sp:SC13SecurityContextToken>. Why there is no <sp:SC14SecurityContextToken> for WS-SC v1.4?

There were no new elements added to 1.4 and no changes to existing elements and therefore no changes to the schema.

- In WS-SC v1.4, why the section 4 Amending Contexts still use old URI of http://docs-oasis-open.org/ws-sx/ws-trust/200512/RST/SCR/Amend. Why not change to: http://docs-oasis-open.org/ws-sx/ws-trust/200809/RST/SCR/Amend for new version of WS-SC?
- Same questions for Renewing and Canceling Contexts. Why not change the prefix on these two URIs as well?

The Amend Renew and Cancel operations are unchanged so there is no need for additional URIs.