Subject: RE: XSPA profile of WS-Trust attached for final comments by this TC

Some Microsoft colleagues and myself have reviewed this document. We don’t have any feedback concerning the document’s description of its usage of WS-Trust. In particular we did not identify anything we would cite as an error. We do feel that the title does not accurately reflect the content of the document as it does not seem to actually “profile” the usage of WS-Trust, e.g. it does not specify specific bindings or restrict the usage of the protocol. Instead the documents reads more like an architectural description of the usage of WS-Trust for your scenario. We think the title “XSPA WS-Trust Architecture for Healthcare” would be more representative of the document’s content.

We do have two additional comments about the architecture described in the document.

1) While from a purely architectural perspective it is possible to position a single Access Control Service between the IP and RP components, in practice it would be an unusual security topology for them to share a single service.

2) While it is possible to construct the STSs and Access Control Service (it uses to make a claims issuance policy decision) as separate services, in practice it would provide better performance and simpler management to combine the issuance policy engine with the STS.

From: Staggs, David (SAIC) [mailto:David.Staggs@va.gov]
Sent: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 7:00 AM
To: ws-sx@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: Davis, John M.; jamie.clark@oasis-open.org

Colleagues

I am attaching the current version of the XSPA profile of WS-Trust for comment.   This profile will be submitted to XSPA TC as a committee draft.  Please review and provide comments so that the XSPA TC starts out with a sound document.

You are cordially invited to join us in the XSPA TC.  Vendors capable of demonstrating the WS-Trust profile are needed at the HIMSS conference in two months.  Ancillary software is complete, we just need vendors to plug in and demonstrate the exchange at the nation’s largest healthcare vendor conference April 3 in Chicago.  DoD Medical Health Services and the VA will act as medical record providers accessed through a custom application created for this demonstration.

The resulting profile will be provided to HITSP and ultimately to the Secretary of Health for use by certain U.S. Federal agencies and between those agencies and non-agencies.  Please contribute to this important effort.

Regards

David Staggs

David Staggs, JD, CISSP (SAIC)
Veterans Health Administration