Subject: RE: [ws-sx] Time to close the WS-SX TC?

Not pretty.  I have seen the – what? – chaos in the Sig & Enc work and the lack of resolution.  I still think that from a standards architectural perspective, that these types of foundational aspects, such as symbols, should be delegated/inherited.  That it doesn’t map, as you said, is what I’m pointing out, and the resolution is almost a refactoring rather than an addition, with the alternative being a never-closed spec.

I’ve been following the Suite B and ECC ‘business’, and it is still a moving target.

From: Hal Lockhart [mailto:hal.lockhart@oracle.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 06, 2013 11:43 AM
To: Carlo Milono; Kelvin Lawrence; ws-sx@lists.oasis-open.org

I am specifically avoiding the issue of specifying what algorithms must be used or ought to be used. I just want to add symbols to make it possible to use these and interoperate.

To answer your question, in an ideal world W3C-Sec should define all the symbols, but they are not in Sig & Enc 1.1 and work on Sig & Enc 2.0 has stalled for lack of prospective implementations.

In any event, because WS-SP has chosen to structure the Algorithm Suite Property in a way which does not map directly to cryptographic algorithm identifiers, we could not go directly from XML Enc & XML Sig to WS-SP directly even if W3C-Sec had defined these.

Hal