Subject: Re: [ws-tx] Issue 007 - WS-C: Make Register/RegisterResponse retriable

+1.

Either we do it at the coord protocol level, or we start to mandate something like WS-RM, which I would not favour, and would create some pretty major ripple effects in specs and implementations.

Alastair

Doug Davis wrote:

And what is that transport mechanism?  By default neither WSA nor SOAP will do
retries.
-Doug

Kevin Conner <Kevin.Conner@jboss.com>

12/13/2005 04:31 AM

Doug Davis/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS
cc
Christopher B Ferris/Waltham/IBM@IBMUS, Mark Little <mark.little@arjuna.com>, ws-tx@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject
Re: [ws-tx] Issue 007 - WS-C: Make Register/RegisterResponse retriable

Doug Davis wrote:
> One thing that concerns me about using the wsa:MessagID is the assumption
> that you'll use the same messageID on each retry.  Can the Tx spec really
> require this?  Other specs (like WSA) which are infrastructural can
> probably make
> this kind of requirement (if they need to), but I always viewed Tx as
> sitting on top
> of these infrastructural layers and not so much as being part of them.
> Implementations
> will vary on this view but I wouldn't think Tx would want to mandate this
> kind of choice.
> thanks,
> -Doug

This really came out of the description of the original problem.  A
request/response conversations was initiated and the initiator crashed
before receiving the response.  The replay of a message at this level,
especially as we are using WS-Addressing, would surely become the domain
of a reliable transport.  My suggestion was therefore to defer this to
the transport mechanism to replay the conversations and not the higher
level protocols.

                Kev