Subject: RE: [ws-tx] Issue 018 - WS-C: split out of 002 a) - Distinguish example from normative, for subordinated CreateCoordinationContext behaviour

Ian,

That rather depends on how many coordination types there are !

Consider the implications of

"WS-AtomicTransaction defines a specific set of protocols that plug into
the WS-Coordination model to implement traditional two-phase atomic
transaction protocols. It is important to note that the atomic,
two-phase model is only with respect to the services involved. Sites or
infrastructure offering services may advertise two-phase commit, but use
some other intra-enterprise model like compensation or versioning. This
freedom makes a simple two-phase commit model more useful for
long-running Internet computations"

(section 3.7 of charter reference 15 (
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/webservices/library/ws-securtrans/
index.html - also at Microsoft)

That could well be implemented by having a WS-BA subtree below a WS-AT
context.  The other way round is possible too - you probably would only
do that where you knew how the ultimate resources were actually going to
fulfil their WS-AT promises.

If something roughly like the ws-caf BP protocol were brought under the
WS-C umbrella, I would think it very likely that a new coordinator for,
say WS-AT, might be created passing it the BP context (and expecting the
AT coordinator to register as a BP participant/sub-coordinator). [I
don't necessarily agree with all the details of BP, but the general
concept that transaction protocols can be bridged between because (or
when) they are semantically mappable I do agree with]

Or consider some of the features that have been excluded by the charter.
Precisely because we have agreed that we won't include them in WS-AT and
WS-BA implies that there could be other coordination types that do
include them, but are otherwise similar.  A mixed tree would then
certainly be reasonable, especially where one side was "legacy"
(supporting only one of the current TC's types) linking from or to an
environment that supported the more general, future type. For example:

	- heuristics in atomic : boundary node either stops and reports
heuristics from below (WS-AT over WS-ATH), or registers with but never
actually produces heuristics (WS-ATH over WS-AT)

	- delegation of outcome decision : (only for WS-TXD over WS-AT
or WS-BA) - boundary node can accept delegation but not pass it on down

	- last-participant optimization : as for delegation

We should make sure WS-C is flexible. Avoiding unnecessarily limiting
normative statements (as distinct from example ways of using it) is key
to this.

Peter