Subject: Re: Membership and Public Review of OASIS Artifact StandardIdentification Scheme for Metadata

WS-TX TC Members,

Normally I would not express an interest in this TC's
design choices, as I only monitor the technical activity
from a distance. Indeed, in this case, the concern expressed
operates at the meta-level, relating to OASIS IT support and
Web Architecture best practices.

In summary, I would urge the TC to consider the arguments
posted by Chris Ferris [1] [2] about NOT rushing to
implement the design for "Persistent URIs" suggested
in ASIS [5] Normative Section 8, which locates a
required "Technical Committee Tree" at the URI
"docs.oasis-open.org/[tcShortName]" -- where "tcShortName"
is defined as "the short name assigned by the TC Administrator
to the Technical Committee, with any hyphens eliminated." [8]

Similarly, I would recommend that the WS-TX TC NOT craft any
new HTTP scheme URI namespace names based upon a hyphenless
variant (wstx), rooted at http://docs.oasis-open.org/wstx/,
per current discussions and the issues list [3] [4].  At least,
not until any such rule/policy is mandated by the OASIS Board.

Considerations:

a) your TC already has a TC Root on the new document server
   being used for predictable (and persistent) URIs:

   http://docs.oasis-open.org/ws-tx/

b) the new document server, as announced in November 2005 by
   OASIS Staff members Scott McGrath and Peter Roden, has been
   authorized as the canonical location for TC specs: the OASIS
   TC Administration announced its plans to "exclusively to
   use the [Internet] domain "docs.oasis-open.org" for public
   access to approved work product of its technical committees..."

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/chairs/200511/msg00002.html

c) the official short name for your TC contains a hyphen, and
   this canonical spelling is used in numerous official
   contexts; for example:

TC Name: OASIS Web Services Transaction (WS-TX) TC
Chartered name: OASIS Web Services Transaction (WS-TX) Technical Committee
         http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ws-tx/200510/msg00000.html
TC URI:  http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/ws-tx/
         http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=ws-tx
Charter: http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/ws-tx/charter.php
Document Repository (OOLibrary): http://docs.oasis-open.org/ws-tx/
TC List: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ws-tx/

d) The design contemplated in ASIS which removes the hyphen is,
   as far as I can tell, unmotivated. It also conflicts with
   current OASIS practice, and with direct instructions given to TCs
   about how to construct persistent URIs using the document server
   at http://docs.oasis-open.org/

e) The original motivation for a hyphenless tcShortName was
   apparently [9] justified by a design -- now abandoned --
   in which the TC Short Name was required in the construction
   of an artifact identifier string: "owner" would have been
   literal "oasis" or any canonical tcShortName with hyphen
   changed to underscore. That old design for the string was:

   owner-product-version-part-artifacttype-stage-revision-language.form

   Later, the TAB's design changed to "eliminate" the hyphen in the
   tcShortName so that no component would contain a hyphen internally.

   However, since ASIS no longer uses any "owner" or "tcShortName"
   as a component in an OASISdefinedName -- itself an option for
   constructing an ArtifactIdentifier -- there is IMO no motivation
   for a grammar production which defines (and universally applies)
   tcShortName as hyphenless. The new ASIS (optional) format is as
   follows:

   product-productVersion-artifactType-stage-revision[-language].form

f) We have enough opportunities for confusion without introducing
   a new hyphenless variant of WS-TX: that would pointlessly
   compound the QA problems associated with URIs (e.g., moving
   spec publication from Kavi and from www.oasis-open.org to
   http://docs.oasis-open.org/ is already enough of a challenge).

Apart from this: I do urge members of the WS-TX TC to carefully
review the ASIS specification, out for review until March 1, 2006,
as announced [6].

The draft ASIS document and the memo describing its review
sent on February 6, 2006 declared that use of the ASIS document
would be:

   "recommended and not mandated"

The characterization "recommended and not mandated" has been
clarified in a memo sent to the (not generally open) OASIS
Chairs list [7]:

   "Our Board of Directors plans to consider in March
    whether to make it [ASIS], or portions of it,
    mandatory policy after the current review is completed."

Respectfully
Robin Cover

[1] Ferris 2006-02-21