Subject: Re: Fw: [ws-tx] Issue 030 - consolidated refinement of Proposal 2

Hi Max, comments below:

Max Feingold wrote:
In order:

I wouldn't have a problem with extending the new "physical address" text
as you describe.  That said, it should probably be done as a separate
issue since the motivating problem is independent of i030.  We might
also want to start thinking how to properly value the cost of making
editorial changes that don't really affect interop or correctness.

I agree. I don't have a problem with no action. If you use anon or none your impl will break. Silence on this is cognate to silence on WS-A faults.
I'm not worried about the inability to deliver protocol faults triggered
by uncorrelated terminal messages.  I can't think of an example where we
would need to send a protocol fault when we have no state against which
to correlate the message.  Since the semantic content of a notification
message is essentially its signal, there are three possible outcomes:

- The terminal message is somehow malformed (resulting in an
infrastructure fault).
- The terminal message is uncorrelated to state (resulting in it being
ignored).
- The terminal message is correlated to state (resulting, potentially,
in a protocol fault being sent to the registration EPR).

Obviously, if there are examples of cases where we'd need a 'From' on a
terminal message, we'd be foolish to prohibit them.  But I can't think
of any.

I agree. I can think of an artificial case where you could deliberately create an e.g. invalid parameters condition (and it's highly artificial), and even then it can be silently swallowed as irrelevant, if the relationship has closed. I wanted to sanity check that conclusion by stimulating someone else to think about it. Thanks for doing so.
Lastly, I agree that the interop documentation is a good place for such
a statement.

Here is some proposed text:

'An implementation shall not fail any interoperation test defined in this document solely because it fails to generate and send one of the faults defined in the WS-Addressing SOAP Binding specification, Section 6.4, "Predefined Faults".'

Alastair