Subject: RE: [ws-tx] Issue 058 - definition of Referencing Specification

The goal is not to prevent implementations or specifications from going
beyond the boundaries of the WS-Coordination specification; they are
free to, but at *their* own risk.

It is just that we don't want to provide a specific guidance, until we
know for sure what those specific usages are. This way the
implementations cannot hold us responsible, if we chose to require the
optional parts in a future revision. Really, it just boils down to the
fact that we don't have enough data yet, to provide a specific guidance.

Thanks.

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Furniss [mailto:peter.furniss@erebor.co.uk]
Sent: Monday, May 08, 2006 3:19 PM
To: Ram Jeyaraman; Mark Little
Cc: ws-tx@lists.oasis-open.org

Ok, now I understand what you were concerned about.

But surely if one of our specifications makes something optional it is
because our protocol will work with or without the feature (albeit with
some kind of variation in detail presumably).  And somewhere in the
sequence: base-spec -> referencing spec -> product -> configuration
options -> real instance of one transaction, that optionality will get
resolved to does or doesn't do it. What would it mean to say that some
feature must be optional down implementation level ? [ that's assuming
right use of the MAY/MUST terms - commonly, a feature that MAY be used
on sending, MUST be accepted on receiving for interoperability ]

And silence won't prevent what you are concerned about. In the absence
of a statement, a referencing specification is apparently permitted to
make a ws-tx optional into MUST/MUST NOT. The point is not that silence
is really confusing (because whatever is not prohibited, is
permissible), but that it may be assumed to be confusing.

Probably making more of this than its worth.

Peter