Subject: Re: [ws-tx] Issue 059 - Protocol event indications are not ws-addressingfaults

Tom,

I think you're referring to the resolution of issue 030 (use of [reply endpoint] etc), not 052  which is rumbling along?

Thoughts on this are contained in a previous post on issue 030:

    http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ws-tx/email/archives/200605/msg00011.html

I do have some sympathy with your view from the standpoint of clarity, optimal reflection of the layering, etc.

Balancing that: this change will affect existing implementations and therefore interop, and obviously requires changes to the schema/WSDL as well as to the spec. The change will introduce no functional improvement in the protocol.

The resulting schema will presumably replicate some of the features of a SOAP 1.2 fault element, which is pre-existing work that is currently referenced.

Also, I think this raises a design consistency problem. The "protocol event indications" are sent as WS-Addressing faults in WS-Coordination (i.e. they are sent as responses, using [relationship] to a [reply endpoint] in accordance with WS-A Core 3.4), but they are sent as plain requests i n WS-AT/BA.

Would you propose that we map to SOAP fault in WS-C, but to PEI in WS-AT/BA? Or always to PEI? If you view the mode of targetting/delivery as affecting the type of the element, then this is a pertinent question. The current spec implicitly considers the mode to be orthogonal to the type.

Alastair

Ram Jeyaraman wrote:
This is identified as WS-TX issue 059.

Please ensure follow-ups have a subject line starting "Issue 059 -
Protocol event indications are not ws-addressing faults".