wsbpel-abstract message

Subject: Requirements on BPEL abstract process

Title: Message
Further to our discussions on the 28 May 04 Teleconference, I suggest that the abstract process sub-group produces a document that contains requirements on abstract processes (with the aim of scoping a language for describing abstract processes), and possibly some illustrative use cases / scenarios as well.  This document should be presented back to the main TC when we have a reasonable first cut.  (Sorry, as I am currently 'out of contract' I am not going to volunteer to edit this document on this occasion, but I will do what I can to help.)

1)  An aim of the BPEL abstract process definition language is to enable the description of the allowed ordering of messages sent and received by a single party (/participant) to its immediate partners with a minimum of complexity.

2)  It should be possible to use an abstract BPEL process description as a step in the design process such as:

graphical description (BPMN or other) --> abstract BPEL process --> executable BPEL process (--> BPEL engine or code)

message sequence charts (/ state diagrams / charts) --> abstract BPEL process --> executable BPEL process (--> BPEL engine or code)

3)  It should be possible to use an abstract BPEL process description as a step in 'reverse engineering a process perhaps for the purpose of discussing with other parties while hiding certain details from those other parties.  For instance:

executable BPEL process (--> BPEL engine or code) --> abstract BPEL process -->  graphical description (BPMN or other)

executable BPEL process (--> BPEL engine or code)--> abstract BPEL process --> message sequence charts (/ state diagrams / charts)

'Requirement' 3) is obviously requires the ability to move in the reverse direction from that envisaged in 'requirement' 2).

Best Regards     Tony
A M Fletcher

Cohesions  (TM)

Business transaction management software for application coordination       www.choreology.com

Choreology Ltd., 68 Lombard Street, London EC3V 9LJ     UK
Tel: +44 (0) 1473 729537   Fax: +44 (0) 870 7390077  Mobile: +44 (0) 7801 948219
tony.fletcher@choreology.com     (Home: amfletcher@iee.org)