wsbpel-abstract message

Subject: Fw: input for discussion about abstract processes

I'm reposting to the subgroup so this gets into the archives.  I've added Ivana and a couple others I missed as members of the group.

Regards, Diane
IBM  Dynamic e-business Technologies
drj@us.ibm.com
(919)254-7221 or 8-444-7221, Mobile: 919-624-5123

----- Forwarded by Diane Jordan/Raleigh/IBM on 06/04/2004 03:55 PM -----
"Trickovic, Ivana" <ivana.trickovic@sap.com>

06/04/2004 09:25 AM

"'Philip.Rossomando@unisys.com'" <Philip.Rossomando@unisys.com>, Alex Yiu <alex.yiu@oracle.com>, Satish Thatte <satisht@microsoft.com>, John Evdemon <jevdemon@microsoft.com>, Diane Jordan/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS, Frank Leymann <LEY1@de.ibm.com>, ygoland@bea.com, nickolas.kavantzas@oracle.com, Ugo Corda <UCorda@SeeBeyond.com>, "Monica J. Martin" <Monica.Martin@Sun.COM>, Ben Bloch <ben_b54@hotmail.com>, sundari.revanur@oracle.com, ashwini.surpur@oracle.com, Martin Chapman <martin.chapman@oracle.com>, Jeff Mischkinsky <jeff.mischkinsky@oracle.com>, Ismael Ghalimi <ghalimi@intalio.com>, sallystamand@yahoo.com, tony.fletcher@choreology.com, dieterkoenig@de.ibm.com, GRitzinger@novell.com, Robert.Haugen@choreology.com, frank.ryan@active-endpoints.com
cc
"Dillman, Frederick" <Frederick.Dillman@unisys.com>, "Malhotra, Sumeet S" <Sumeet.Malhotra@unisys.com>, "Trickovic, Ivana" <ivana.trickovic@sap.com>
Subject
input for discussion about abstract processes

Unfortunately, I am not able to join today's conference call due to another appointment. Nevertheless, here is my input for the work on BPEL abstract processes. Attached please find a document explaining the proposed solution for issue 99.

<<Issue99_Explanation.pdf>>

Also I would like to briefly comment how BPEL abstract processes complement WSDL and list a few requirements for BPEL abstract processes.

A Web service may implement a set of operations which are not independent; that means the ability to execute an operation may depend on the outcome of another operation of the service. For example, a Travel Agent service may implement operations such as makeReservation, changeReservation, and cancelReservation, which depend on each other - a reservation may be changed/canceled only after it is created. At the moment, WSDL is primarily used for describing Web services, although it is adequate only for simple Web services, such as those used for simple information retrieval (e.g. getWeatherForecast). The language does not provide features for describing relationships between multiple operations offered by a Web service, which is critical for complex Web services (usually called stateful or conversational Web services).

Abstract description of behavioral aspects of Web services is needed so service consumers can understand the way how to interact with Web services. In this sense, these behavioral aspects complement the WSDL abstract interface.

Behavioral aspects include:
                1.                 Order in which messages may be produced and consumed
                2.                 Way in which the content of exchanged messages influences subsequent message exchange(s)
                3.                 Mechanism for associating different messages (or message instances) to the same conversations (since the same service may be engaged in different conversations at the same time with the same or different services)
                4.                 Dynamic participation - ability to identify the target Web service at run-time

The following paper ("Using BPEL4WS in a UDDI registry") looks at the relationship between WSDL, UDDI and BPEL abstract processes and suggests how BPEL abstract processes can be used in a UDDI registry
<http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/uddi-spec/download.php/6407/uddi-spec-tc-tn-bpel-20040415.doc>

Regards,

Ivana

Issue99_Explanation.pdf