wsbpel-implement message

Subject: RE: [wsbpel-implement] Portable BPEL source code usage scenario (was RE: [wsbpel-implement] Implementation subgroup call 10/13)

Hello,

Sazi Temel mentioned the problem, that tools may expand simple constructs into a BPEL form, and that process might be therefore much more complicated on another tool.

I just wanted to add a typical example for that: BPMN specifies a lot BPEL bindings, which are more complex than a 1:! mapping, and the resulting BPEL gets pretty hard to read. Actually nobody would model that with a BPEL only tool.

I have another example: in our Tool it is possible to do a assign right before an invoke, and it will not require to define a variablke. Of course internally it creates one to satisfy BPEL, but on the graphical layer it is just a parameter mapping from the variable into the invoke message. On import of BPEL we recognize this. But we have great work to do, if we want to recognize this for BPEL scripts which are generated by other tools and possibly have another order (i.e. having the assign right after the receive instead of right bevore the invoke).

Just wanted to name those cases, dont know what the reader will do with them :)

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Bernd Eckenfels
Chief Architect
--
SEEBURGER AG - Edisonstr.1 , D-75015 Bretten, Germany
Fax: +49 (0)7252 96-2400 - Phone: +49 (0)7252 96-1256
mailto:b.eckenfels@seeburger.de - http://www.seeburger.de

-----Original Message-----
From: Sazi Temel [mailto:sazi@bea.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 4:01 AM
To: Diane Jordan; bpel implementation
Subject: [wsbpel-implement] Portable BPEL source code usage scenario
(was RE: [wsbpel-implement] Implementation subgroup call 10/13)

Diane,
Here is the example (usage scenario) that I have mentioned in our last conf call. It is originally suggested by Yaron Golan. The purpose of this usage scenario is to explore whether the purpose of BPEL is to provide portable execution or portable human readable source code. I do not have a concrete example with WSDL/BPEL files etc., after all it is not one of the usual use case which is related to a business process; and I don't think we need one to discuss it anyway. There are different implications for BPEL depending on the answer [ a) provide portable execution, b) provide portable source code or c) both ]. Since it is related to portability issue, I thought the implementation group might find it interesting/useful to discuss.

Here is the scenario: Portable Execution or Portable Source?
- User A writes a BPEL using their favorite tool Tool_A
- User A uses a typical programming construct not provided in BPEL like for-each or if-then or until
- Tool A translates the programming construct into a form supported by BPEL
- User A hands their BPEL to User B to edit.
- User B tries to edit the BPEL using their favorite tool, Tool_B
- User B is confused because a lot of the BPEL code looks weird, what has happened is that Tool_B doesn't encode the programming constructs the same way Tool_A has so Tool_B can't represent the constructs in their higher level semantic (e.g. as a for-each) and instead has to show a ton of strange BPEL code with counters and lots of fancy XPATHs etc.

Sazi
'

Sazi Temel				Principle Consultant, Integration Architect
'					Sazi.Temel@bea.com
BEA Systems Inc.			http://www.bea.com
140 Allen Road			Office: +1 908 580 3123
Liberty Corner, NJ 07938	Mobile: +1 856 261 8582