wsbpel-implement message

Subject: RE: [wsbpel-implement] Use of contributed IPR in conducting tests of partial and draft specifications

i guess even non-oasis members could have claims (especially patents) which may need to be respected (in some countries).

BTW: I guess we still miss siebels statement?

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Bernd Eckenfels
Chief Architect
--
SEEBURGER AG - Edisonstr.1 , D-75015 Bretten, Germany
Fax: +49 (0)7252 96-2400 - Phone: +49 (0)7252 96-1256
mailto:b.eckenfels@seeburger.de - http://www.seeburger.de

-----Original Message-----
From: Ugo Corda [mailto:UCorda@SeeBeyond.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2003 12:46 AM
To: James Bryce Clark; wsbpel-implement@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: drj@us.ibm.com; bellwood@us.ibm.com; karl.best@oasis-open.org

Hi Jamie,

Just a point of clarification. You say below:

"I note that the majority of WSBPEL TC contributors already have provided names and contact information for licensing permission, in their postings to the TC's IPR notices page (www.oasis-open.org/committees/wsbel/ipr.php).   I'd assume that they would be willing to provide adequate assurances for testing activities they support.  I suggest that prospective test participants contact them, if concerned about a licensing gap for permission to build a test client.  At this stage, as I read it, they're free to provide licenses or not, and members are free to decide whether to participate or not.  Of course, those decisions may affect adoption of the work".
But that is only a part of the issue. In other words, the existing IPR statements only relate to the initial BPEL 1.1 submission. Any work contributed since the beginning of the TC's activities could be subject to additional IPR claims (coming not only from the original submitters but also from any other member of the TC). Is that correct?

If so, then your other statement should apply, i.e. "Members may have claims against the work being incorporated into a specification, and are encouraged to disclose them, in which case those disclosures are posted to the TC's IPR notices page". So they are "encouraged to disclose" but they don't have to. Is that correct?
So an implementation might be infringing on IPR claims above and beyond those currently expressed in the IPR notices page of the TC. (I am not saying this is good or bad, just trying to get the complete picture).

Thank you,
Ugo