wsbpel-liaisons message

Subject: Notes from WS Choreography meeting

My summary of discussion in the WS Choreography meeting.

- WS Chor. has decided on a mission statement.  They will work on a language to define global composition models for interactions of web services.  This could involve defining interactions at higher level than BPEL processes.  An example could be orchestrating disparate bpel (or other?) processes across multiple businesses.   This may overlap with BPEL abstract process support which is an important part of the BPEL value.
- avoiding overlap entirely may not be possible.  Possibility exists for the output of the two groups to work together/connect smoothly or to be optional approaches or have some sort of interchangeability.
- use cases are being developed by both groups.  Can we share or collaborate on these?  Since they will eventually be available on the public areas of both groups' web sites, this seems possible.  (Note we should check on Oasis policy before proceeding.)
- other possible liaison activities include:  identifying common requirements the two groups have on other activities and collaborating to present them most effectively; or possible joint meetings to discuss status and requirements.
-WS Choreography is focused on wsdl 1.2.  BPEL is looking at wsdl 1.1.
- initiating joint technical work would require addressing process differences between W3C and Oasis.  This is not a current objective.
- neither W3C nor Oasis has policies regarding liaisons that we are aware of that would constrain the interactions we forsee between the work group and technical committee (other than the use case point noted above that we need to check into).
- the WS BPEL TC has established a liaison coordination team, led by Rajesh Pradham, and has a volunteer to act a liaison to WS Choreography (Greg Ritzinger).  We expect many liaison relationships to be established with related web service and business process activities in Oasis and elsewhere and will be monitoring status of these in our bi-weekly conference calls.
- the WS Chor. group contact point will be the co-chairs.

Action for the WS BPEL TC is to confirm the liaison person via a motion at the call on Wed.  I don't think there is any other specific actions for the full TC at this point.

Regards, Diane
IBM  Dynamic e-business Technologies
drj@us.ibm.com
(919)254-7221 or 8-444-7221, Mobile: 919-624-5123