Subject: Re: [wsbpel-spec-edit] Re: [wsbpel] Groups - wsbpel-specification-draft-July-30-2004.htmlmodified

Alex,

For one CVS is not an approved form (AIUI) for distributing the specs or related contents by the TC. Hence the need to publish HTML version instead of the word version we use for editing,.

I guess all editing is error prone and we just need to be careful or one or the two folks that know the pit falls handle the word edits along with the schema file edit (that they do now anyway). Since these are incremental it is not a big deal IMO. All one needs to do is, update the schema file first and when satisfied that changes are good, copy and paste the text to relevant section in word.

The eye inspection is for viewing and reviewing what changed in the schema and not for validating or playing with it. For the latter aspect, we will provide the URI ref to the actual schema.

Cheers,

Prasad

Alex Yiu wrote:

Hi, Prasad,

Few extra points for you to consider:

(A)
Does the TC/public have the read-only access to our WEB CVS system now?
If so, WEB CVS would be even a more powerful tool to let users track the changes of XSD file.

Even, if they don't have access to CVS, we even can save the DIFF from the website as HTML file, whenever we publish the XSD files.

We can even bundle the main spec file HTML/MS-WORD with all XSD related files in one single zip file if we want. That will ease our reviewers a lot!

(B)
One thing I would like to point that: mistakes were made in the past due to the notorious automatic quotation formatting features of MS Word to the make XSD files not-well-formed. I think frequent simultaneous editing to the XSD file outside Word doc and inside Word doc would be as error prone as before.

Also, detailed reviews process of XSD files are likely to be done through plugging the XSD into a XSD tool env and start playing with it. Eye inspection of XSD files are just for eye inspection. :-)  Again, eye inspection only approach has failed us in the past.

And, if there is discrepencies between the XSD in WORD and the standalone XSD file during our manual simultaneous editing, which one is the real one?

I hope I have convinced you by now. :-)

Regards,
Alex Yiu

Prasad Yendluri wrote:
Alex,

My apologies but, I strongly feel we should make the changes to the schema explicitly visible. Just handing a new version of the schema where folks need to go figure what changed since last version is unreasonable and unwanted IMO.

We want separate schema file so that we can validate the schema via tools designed for that and make sure the changes in the spec do not render schema invalid but, that does not obviate the need for the TC (and public at large) to view and review what changed in the schema as well, each time we make a new revision of the spec available for review. I like to think we are schema experts :) and public should trust us but, as a principle I am against abstracting the changes made to the schema there by inhibiting a proper review of the spec and schema.

If it is any help in mitigating the labor on the editing side, I would be happy to assist with the schema changes if needed and useful.

Regards, Prasad