Subject: RE: [wsbpel-spec-edit] Friendly amendments to issue 89 proposal

Satish,

I am ok with the text you come up with for 89. To put it into the context of section 6.2, the final change should be:

(proposed changes marked with [[...]])

The top-level attributes are as follows:

*         queryLanguage. This attribute specifies the default XML query
language used for selection of nodes in assignment, property definition,
and other uses. The default value for this attribute is XPath 1.0,
represented by the URI of the XPath 1.0 specification:
http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-xpath-19991116.

*         expressionLanguage. This attribute specifies the expression
language used in the process. The default for this attribute is XPath
1.0, represented by the URI of the XPath 1.0 specification:
http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-xpath-19991116.

*         ...

[[
The value of the querLanguage attribute and the value of the
expressionLanguage attribute at the process level can be overridden by
an activity using a different value for that attribute. Any platform component
that is required to interpret a BPEL process
definition MUST statically ensure that it supports all the queryLanguage
and expressionLanguage attribute values used in the process definition.
If it does not support one or more such values it MUST reject the
process definition.

]]

If Yaron and others agree with the text and location, I can incorporate the text to the spec.

That takes care of issue 89.

I also want to add a big +1 to Alex's suggestion for defining the different processors. Throughout the spec, we are talking about quite a few different things. Here we are actually defining a conformant behavior of a "platform component", whereas in section 6.4, we are talking about some "processor". The terms "runtime engine", "engine", "process engine" are also used in different places. As Alex already pointed out issue 9 also needs a better definition of the terms.

It would be good if we can clarify what are the conformance targets of the spec and define such targets clearly. At the minimum, the terms need to be reconciled. This might be addressed as part of issue 9, or should a new issue be opened?

Best Regards,
Kevin