wsbpel-uc message

Subject: UN/CEFACT Material

Hi all-

I am forwarding the text and attachments that David Webber was kind enough to send to me.

Harvey, what you are calling the business eco system the BCM group is labeling "context". And I think you are both saying essentially the same thing: you have to start from a business perspective and you need to understand the business and all the interrelationships of the business.

While that is obvious to many people it needs to be state to insure everyone is starts there and has the same perspective. Your document does that. Whether the players, their roles, the relationships are seen the same way is for discussion. Just are you & Monica have recently demonstrated.

At some point a document (template) to guide a broader audience's thinking toward the same view is generally helpful.

I was trying to do that with the template I sent out. And I was hoping to have just a single template with links so that the "drill down" from the abstract use cases to the more executable use cases to those that are indisputably executable use cases.

To me your Supply Chain is the eco system (the context) for use cases that we need to identify and develop in order to design and exercise the BPEL spec. The Supply Chain is a concept; it is a very abstract use case. At the other extreme is "add an Item" which I think is outside the scope of the BPEL spec but represents the other end point.

What we want to do is identify use cases in the supply chain eco system that will exercise the spec. With an emphasis on those aspects of the specification that seem the problematic or will really demonstrate the strength of the spec.

Besides the Supply Chain eco system we should identify another eco system to test if the players (actors), relationships, etc will work in another context. We need labels that convey the message across many constituencies, i.e. developers, analysts, many business types.

I plan to look at the material from UN/CEFACT & bpel use case and check for the commonalties.

I think we are making progress although it might be too soon to put forth a specific use case to the full TC tomorrow. In fact I am hoping that the discussion around the issues jars an idea for a use case, preferably within the Supply Chain, that many see as a good test.

Sally

RE Use case template.rtf

UBAC_Forms_UseCase.doc

UBAC_UseCase_Template_02.doc