Subject: Re: [wsbpel] installing compensation handlers for faulted scopes

David RR Webber - XML ebusiness wrote:

>Arkin,
>
>This sounds suspiciously like how BPSS handles this - see
>attached diagram for repair parts ordering - where steps,
>actions, and succeed / fail sets are linked as components.
>
>Of course in the example these are simple transition binaries,
>but I like the broader object model - instead of the procedural
>iterative one because:

If you start with the requirement that the language should support the
way people do business and not the other way around then there are not a
lot of surprises. Eventually all the useful languages would do things
quite the same way, and the variety of languages you have like BPSS,
BPEL, BPML, XPDL etc is proof of that.

I guess the difference between BPSS and BPEL is that BPEL doesn't assume
business users would be writing XML definitions of their processes. So
it doesn't care what the XML language looks like, more than UML-users
care what XMI looks like. For example some tools <shelfless promo comes
here> let you model business processes in a way you understand them,
which is not much different then UMM diagrams (again nothing to invent
here). They may end up producing BPSS or BPEL or a definition in any
number of other languages.

Indeed the smarts are in the runtime engine. The smarts are also in the
modeling engine. And they both work together to achieve an overall
effect that often looks like magic. A good modeling tool lets you model
processes the way you see them regardless of how they get defined for
the engine. Not all products are there yet, but I suspect this will be
the growing trend in the coming years. Because the business user doesn't
care what the language looks, neither does the language care what the
business user looks like, it liberates the language from being an
adequate visual representation of the process. Once you do that the
language becomes more expressive and can do more interesting things.

This is probably not apparent from the current crop of products, but BPM
systems would definitely move in that direction separating the XML
definition from the visual notation, making life easier for the business
user but allowing for powerful execution engines. Anyway, that's just my
guess and the usual disclaimer applies ;-)

arkin