Subject: RE: [wsbpel] implicite links of the runtime engine (was: Implicit <sequence> macro)

Satish,

This seems complicated enough already to me
from the point of view of generating an operating
environment where tracking behaviour at runtime
is non-trivial already!

Can you elaborate on the
"But I doubt it would satisfy most members of the TC
 as the specification we produce".

????

So what would be the compelling use cases that
would need something else?  Or is it the other way
around - that issues requiring interoperability
across systems die an ugly death on things like
spawn and recursion (maybe these features can
only be used internally?).

Thanks, DW.
Message text written by "Satish Thatte"
>Popping up a level, the basic point is that minimality is in the eye of
the beholder.  Why stop with eliminating sequence?  Links can be emulated
by message based synchronization.  Concurrency (flow) can be emulated by a
spawn feature, using message passing to emulate shared state.  In the end
we have message passing including port reference passing, spawn, some
notion of abstraction (declaration) and some form of recursion and not much
else, i.e., the pi calculus.  Pi is provably able to emulate everything
including XML data.  But I doubt it would satisfy most members of the TC as
the specification we produce.  There is some element of judgment involved
in deciding what is minimal enough for BPEL -- emulation is not a
conclusive argument.

I am sure none of you will disagree at this level, although the only
argument I have heard for eliminating sequence so far is that it can be
emulated with flow and links.

Satish
<